Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newcastle holidays, safe for southern visitors?

Options
  • 14-02-2023 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭

We been on holidays to a few places in Nothern Ireland and have had a brilliant experience but have to say there has been a few places that made us extremely nervous to drive though nevermind stop driving a southern reg car with all the flags and pictures on walls etc.

Is Newcastle/environs nearby like that at all? Anything to be aware of as a southern visitor?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you avoid July you should be ok.

If you are nervous book a place with secure off road parking

• Registered Users Posts: 9 toylexus

Ull be fine. Loads of southern cars here now. Newcastle is safe as are most towns and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Newcastle is a stones throw from the border.

Loads of Southern reg cars and I've never seen any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hi and apologies to OP for tagging onto your thread.

I have been considering holidays in NI for some time and am unsure of where is fully welcoming.

Areas I am looking at are Fermanagh (near Enniskillen) and Carnlough.

I visited a place called Portavogie a few years back and had an unwelcoming negative experience there.

Please delete mods, if off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

Portavogie is unwelcoming to everyone... don't feel bad!

down the Ards peninsula.... there's not a lot of.... new blood. I grew up in Carrowdore. My Dad came from Donegal in '59 and he's still seen as a blow in.

If you avoid July, and places festooned with flags you'll usually be safe enough.

Femannagh knows that the tourist pound pays their wages, Carlough is tiny, but I don't you having problems there either..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Enniskillen is ok.

Most of West Cavan and Leitrim go shopping there.

Also as another poster said they are well used to visitors from far and wide.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Newcastle is absolutely fine any time of the year. Castlewellan too. Used to holiday there in the 80s and 90s and still visit regularly.

Make sure you spend some time in Tollymore forest Park, Castlewellan Peace Maxlze and the Mournes in general. A really beautiful part of the country. Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yes Tollymore is beautiful, especially in another few weeks when it's full Autumn colour.

And would also say Newcastle is fine.

Advertisement