Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The present continuous (I think!)

Options
  • 14-02-2023 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to re-learn after decades since my leaving cert!

I've been trying out Duolingo and I'm properly stuck on one thing, which I think is the present continuous where "á" seems to be used as an alternative to "ag"?

So if I understand it correctly, "Táim á léamh" means I'm reading it. Can this also be expressed as "Táim ag léamh é"? Is only one correct? Is one more correct than the other? And where can I go to study the rules on this as I've certainly got a mental block on it!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Diablo Verde

Hi. I'm far from a native speaker, but 'tá mé ag léamh é' sounds fairly clunky to me.

"Táim á léamh" sounds right to me.

I have it in my head that "tá sé á léamh agam" would do the job if you really wanted to refer back to the "it" separately in the sentence. Would roughly translate as "it is being read by me".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Is there somewhere I can look up the structure of this? I've tried Google but I'm not entirely sure what to search for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

It seems it's the Progressive Tense I'm after!

This might help someone else. Especially if you're baffled by it's appearance without explanation in Duolingo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭deirdremf

As Diablo says, you can write or say "Táim á léamh" or "Tá sé á léamh agam."

Tá mé ag léamh é is following English syntax - deffo not correct. Gaelscoil kids are very keen on it though!

One small problem with these structures "Táim á léamh" is that á can refer to é, í or iad. Or , and siad in "Tá sé á léamh agam." The problem comes about with verbs that begin with a letter that can take a séimhiú or an urú, as you need to use the right form: séimhiú for é, nothing for í and an urú for iad.

Táim á dhéanamh (an bád)

Táim á déanamh (an obair)

Táim á ndéanamh (na bróga)

For this reason, a learner will usually be better advised to use the second option, as it is obvious whether the subject is , or siad. You still need the séimhiú or urú, but the grammatical subject is clearly visible in the sentence.

Advertisement