Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Japan Car Import agent

• 12-02-2023 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi

I am considering importing a VW Touran from Japan. Does anyone know of an agent/vehicle broker to help broker the deal with the vendor and manage transport options etc.

Also if someone has experience with regards payment of the car. From a dealer is it by escrow, and how much typical deposit? Finally paperwork and proof of vehicle - (the internet shots, especially the interior optional extra, could be from any car!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭Oops!

Imeka cars. Google them, run by a Japan based Galway man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JeepsDublin

Thanks Oops

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭User1998

Theres no Escrow. You pay for the car and hope for the best. You can pay for the freight when the car arrives. As a first purchase you will probably be expected to pay 100% of the car price but sometimes 50% is possible. Paperwork is sent after the car leaves Japan.

And just letting you know regardless of what the import broker tells you, RoRo shipping time is around 6 to 9 months at the moment. And for a Tiguan I’d estimate you could be paying up to $3,000 freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

JDM auction watch are bang on to deal with

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭murphthesmurf

I'm using JDM Auction Watch right now. I won a car at auction on Friday last week. A BMW Active Hybrid 5.

You pay a €500 deposit to be able to bid. If you win you pay 75% of cost of car within 3 working days, the rest when it arrives. They give you a price for the car, shipping, all fees, VAT and customs. All you have to do is pay the VRT when it arrives.

So far so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

A rough breakdown I was given for one car I looked at costing 749,000 yen. -

Car cost: 749,000JPY

Auction fee/Export fee/Port handling: 85,000JPY

Inland transport: 25,000JPY

Freight & Insurance: 265,000JPY

===============

1124000JPY (€8030)

Duty: €803

VAT: €2062

Port handling fee & brokerage: €180

Service fee incl VAT: €920

Shipping varies slightly depending on size of car. Customs and VAT are around 35% of cost of car plus shipping etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Is the service fee incl VAT @ 920.00 the charge from the company in Ireland who organised everything for you?

Yes 👍 JDM Auction Watch.

Well worth getting in touch with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AGo

Do you mind me asking how much was VRT?

• Advertisement

Should know by the end of the week. They had to refer it to revenue for a statistical code as wasn't on their system. Even though I know of 2 within the last 12 months imported from Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AGo

They wouldn't admit they had them in the past as this gives them an opportunity to rip people off on individual basis. I'm sure almost every car which is not on the calculator was appealed with different outcome, so there's no common figure, I suppose.

I've received a statisticall code for my Active Hybrid 3, which doesn't return anything back, so go figure..

Advertisement