Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Issue

Options
  • 11-02-2023 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭

I got my acoustic guitar set up recently, and had the action lowered a bit. However, since then it’s sounding “off” to me. But I’m finding it hard to describe, is it echoey? distortiony? buzzy? I’ve had string buzz before on other guitars but this sounds different. At this stage I’m even thinking “Maybe this is what it’s supposed to sound like after a set up.” Or thinking I’m imagining things. I’ve attached a link to what I’m hearing. If anyone can pin point what it is that I’m hearing I’d be grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Definitely something vibrating alright, but doesn't necessarily sound like frett buzz. Is there anything else that might be vibrating on the body? Pick guard, cables inside rattling against the wood? Is it only happening when you're playing an open G chord?

If it is fret buzz you should be able to isolate it by playing each string in each fret position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I don’t think so. Pick guard looks firm. No pickups so nothing inside the guitar itself. If I fingerpick I’ll sometimes get it on some of the strings. But not all the time, which is annoying. As nothing about how I play has changed.

I will probably end up bringing it back in. Just wanted to have an idea instead of going “somethings wrong, I dunno what.”

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Can you strum it, and listen to roughly where that rattle is coming from? I'd start by checking the tuner nuts, strap pins, and output jack if you have one are all secure. Try packing under the strings above the nuts with tissue paper, just to ensure it's not a sympatheic vibration from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

When I strum it’s hard to pinpoint where the issue is as to my ear it’s just an echoey noise coming out of the sound hole.

Ive:

Checked the strap pins and tuning bits, all are secure.

I took the strings out from the pins to make sure the ball end was seated correctly.

I’ve tapped the body, front and back to see if anything is making a noise.

I’ve put bits of paper beneath the strings at the nut.

If I put a capo, say on the 2nd fret it improves the sound. Playing the same chords with and without it has a noticeable difference.

So far nothing has been the culprit. It’s very annoying as now it’s all I can hear when I play it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Wonder if your truss rod is loose. Have you tried gently turning it 1/8th of a turn or less, just to ensure there's tension on it? Dunno why a capo on the 2nd would reduce it if it was the truss rod, but that's the only other thing that comes to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

If the problem goes away when you have a capo on the instrument the problem could be with the nut. A badly cut nut slot can cause the issue you are describing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

definitely something loose..... truss rod nut?

I'd go back to whoever set it up. if its only happening since then......

Advertisement