Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air [Ben Affleck]

Options
  • 10-02-2023 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

Affleck's first movie since the fairly drab Live By Night, but his previous flicks have all been very good, so looking forward to this.

Good cast and seems like something to just kick off the shoes and enjoy, because I'd say they'll be waving the nostalgia wand around pretty liberally.

Deliberately holding off showing MJ in the trailer itself, or will he feature at all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

no listing for an actor playing Michael Jordan on it's wiki page.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It looks fine...... And that's about all I could say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A good ensemble cast including Chris Tucker and Mr. Viola Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

A movie about how in the 1980s, plucky underdogs Nike struck a deal with Michael Jordan that grants him $400m annually today in passive income. Lots to root for then. It's a bit of a confused movie, with too many strands that don't fully come together. Lots of focus on Jordan's mother rather than the player himself (who is never depicted fully, as if he's the prophet of Islam). After King Richard, is too much to ask for a movie about once in a generation black American athletes that isn't about their parent?!

That being said, there are some lovely 80s touches, a great soundtrack and excellent performances from Ben Affleck and Chris Tucker especially. Unlike say, Moneyball, I never felt fully invested in the main characters, their goal and why this was worthy of a movie depiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Yeah I'd agree with that assessment. Got a Moneyball vibe about it but it just wasnt up to that standard(Did Aaron Sorkin write Moneyball?). i found them not showing MJ a frustrating plot device but overall it was a good movie. Although I think a better movie would've been how Philip Knight founded Nike in the first place, its a great story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Saw it the other day due to the dire weather, I’d give it 3/5. The script is very pleased with itself. From the beginning, you know that all that’s at stake is an athlete (who was always going to be very rich anyway) and a company making hundreds of millions of dollars. Woo? Or should I say, yawn. Also MJ being some shadowy figure who’s not in it at all, was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,184 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

This is added to Prime tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭steve_r

Watched this off the back of seeing some great reviews.

Whilst the performances are great, it's hard to get too emotionally invested in an "they all made loads of money" story.

I did enjoy the 80's references and the needle drops, and found the opening quite strong. I found it did lag towards the middle and the end, and that's probably because the subject matter didn't lend itself to high stakes.

I like Affleck as director movies without loving them if that makes sense. This was enjoyable, as was Argo, but there’s something always missing. The characters always seem a bit one dimensional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭paulbok

The producers of this movie took a leaf out of the films plot and went all in on the cast to make this work. Some great acting by the main stars to make this a decent watch, otherwise it would have been quite poor. Really stretched out the story, not much to it, considering there was never a perspective from Jordan himself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement