Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Architect says ok to sign builder’s contract a month after they start?.

Options
  • 10-02-2023 2:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

I’ve employed a architect a year ago and from his recent tender finally got a suitable builder.My Architect says that builder will start next week but because of short notice we can leave contract signing till his first site visit in a few weeks.He’s says no risk to me as no payment is due under payment plan till contract is signed.

my question :is it ok for builder to start without us signing contract?.Is there something I’m not aware of ,or is this something that happens normally?.

Mods: please move if not correct forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's common enough. It would be normal enough for the architect to issue a letter of intent with instruction to proceed with the works on the basis of the contractor's tender of X date.

How are you financing the works? Are their bank, council or other funding issues if the contract hasn't been signed?

Make sure you have your insurances in order. Make sure the builder has their insurances in order.

Are there any existing buildings?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

It’s an extension that I’m paying for myself.

My Architect has emailed me to say he has insurances ,I assume that’s ok?.

is there some special insurance that I need ?.My architect didn’t mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make sure you policy is up to date, paid, and the rebuilding valuation is adequate (note very strong inflation in construction). Let your broker / insurer know that you are doing construction work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

There's no point. Home insurance specifically excludes losses arising from work done by tradesmen.

That's why it's crucial to ensure your builder has proper insurance.

Advertisement