Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Trying to identify a 1990s kids film...

Options
  • 09-02-2023 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭

I've a recollection of a late 1980s/1990s kids made for tv film (or maybe it was a TV show episode) but no name to go on.

Don't know any cast members

All I've got to go on is a scene where they are planning an escape/breakout (or was it a break-in) and they use a model/plan made of toys, using toy soldiers etc to act out the roles of the group.

They had string etc to show where ladders would be placed, it was a lego base used to build the floor plan of the building/prison to raid.

There was a dog involved I think.

Any help? If boards can solve this one....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This is the first thing that comes to mind, dunno if it contains the scene you're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Dont think that's it but thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

I could have sworn that Toy Soldiers was the one with toy armies coming to life, and we watched it in Primary school. But Small Soldiers is the one with the actual toys. Confused now.

Wasn't Toy Soldiers about a terrorist siege in a private boarding school?

If so then it most definitely not the movie the OP describes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,062 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Do you know any of the cast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Would it be The Sandlot (1993).. Kids trying to get a baseball from a guys garden but are afraid of his dog nicknamed the beast.

I don't recall any individual cast members.

The premise was more about a breakout or escape, or possibly a break in to recover an important item. In the scene I'm remembering, they had built a model of a building using toys, and were plotting their moves using toy figures etc. It wasn't about the toys as such.

More of a kids movie than an action thing. It's a long shot but there you go

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

Might it be 'War of the Buttons'? Irish film.. 1994.

It was an American thing. Don't know why it came into my head recently and it's probably obvious when I get it.

The main point was using toys to plan out a raid as a 3D floor plan, which was a great scene to a 10-11 year old kid watching at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Kinda feel invested in this. Feels like a a film I should know 😁

• Advertisement

If its any addition, I think one of them talked the others through the plan using an aluminium pointer.

It was a break-in rescue or recover something/someone I'm thinking.

Yeah I know, giving a cast member would be more helpful, but sure that would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vstrom rider

Could be the lost boys where they are planning to kill the vampires

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

It just reminds me of The Dirty Dozen!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,149 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Catch that Kid maybe?(slightly newer than 1990s)

Catch That Kid - Wikipedia

The dirty dozen scene is something like what I'm thinking of (but can't think of). They may have copied the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

This is definitely with live actors, right? Couldn't be a scene from one of the Toy Story movies?

No, definitely live actors, mid 90s or earlier I'd say. The toys/model were incidental to the story as I remember, but it was a good way of showing the plan (and the plot as a result).

To be clear, this isn't a quiz or puzzle that i have the answer to, it's a head wreck for me so welcome to the party 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 10,708 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

I keep reading this and I'm becoming too invested in it myself 🤣

Maybe a stupid question, have you tried asking that chatGPT website? (Would have done it myself but I'm not registered with it)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭biketard

Can't let this one go either! I've been looking on pages like these where they have lists of Lego appearances in movies and TV shows:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/81925-lego-in-film-tv-index-of-appearances/

I got excited by a couple of descriptions at the second link, only to see that the date is way off.

Even if only the base is Lego, I'm sure some Lego superfan will have it listed somewhere. I wonder if it might be worth asking in the Lego forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭urbangoo

Just reading this thread and the first film that came to mind was Can’t Hardly Wait from 1998. It’s a high school comedy though, not a kids film and some of the details don’t match. But there is scene where the geek is acting out his plan for revenge on his bully using models and action figures.

• Advertisement
Advertisement