If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Query Regarding Firearm Application

  • 09-02-2023 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

    First time gun buyer and forum poster here looking for some help regarding my first firearms application, (Shotgun).

    My intention is to only use the shotgun in order to shoot clays on my uncles property. I would prefer to apply for a normal firearms licence but I require 2 written landowners permission but unfortunately with where I live that could be a whole lot of hassle to obtain. However, If I were to apply for a Limited Licence to shoot clays on my uncles lad exclusively would that need that I do not need any written permission at all just to make sure his details are written on my application?

    Apologies for the long winded question. Just confused what the differences regarding land permissions are between the Limited and Normal Firearms Licence.



  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

    How much land has your uncle?

  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

    Just under 10 acres total.

  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭smmember20

    The following pertains to a "limited" Certificate

    (11) The following provisions have effect in relation to a certificate in the form

    referred to in subsection (6) of this section (in this subsection referred to as a “limited


    (a) a limited certificate relating to land occupied by a person other than the

    applicant for the certificate shall not be granted unless the occupier of the

    land has given the applicant a nomination in writing for holding the certificate;

    (b) a limited certificate relating to any land shall not be granted in respect of any

    period if there is a limited certificate relating to the land already in force in

    respect of that period;

    (c) a limited certificate shall not be granted unless the whole of the land to which

    it would relate is occupied by the same person;

    (d) where a nomination referred to in paragraph (a) of this subsection is revoked,

    the limited certificate to which it related, if then in force, shall not be capable

    of being renewed.

    Because of the nature of a limited certificate for shotgun, i do not believe that it would be a reasonable reason to acquire one to shoot clays, vermin control is the sole focus of such and in addition there are the restrictions on if or not there exists a limited cert for another shotgun.

    On another note can I say that applicants for a firearms certificate must provide a reason for requiring same, if you apply to shoot clay pigeons, there is no requirement to be a member of a club or show club membership, there are many clubs holding open shoots and a very legitimate reason for acquiring a certificate would certainly be to allow you to attend such shoots.

    Then as there is no legislation clay shooting in existance you can being fully compliant with the legislation set up a trap on the land you ahve permission and shoot away.

    So in Summary: apply for the purpose of clay shooting, on and at grounds with open shoots.

    PS if you do acquire a limited license then you are very much restricted to use on the land it is speciifcally granted for!

  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

    Cleared up alot for me there thanks.

    Just finally does the limited licence application need to be attached with a written permission letter similar to how the full licence requires two? Or is Section 5.2 of the FCA1 enough to accompany the application?

  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

    Why go for the limited at all?

    My understanding of smmember20’s post is that you can apply for a normal licence and state you will be attending open days, open events at clubs also. Correct me if I’m wrong?

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 JasonCee

    That is how I understood it too, the only issue being it will be difficult to find another signature of a landowner to apply for the Full License as I live in the wilderness of the deep west :D

    Ill try to fish around for another signature or try to join a club through the nargc.

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

    Does your uncle not know any landowners that he gets on well with? Could he not ask them for permission for you?

    Or alternatively, join a gun club.

  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

    What am I missing here ?. All this sh1t about limited and 2 landowners and land permissions. Fill in the FCA1 form and for Section 4.2 , tick other, and include on another piece of paper CLAY PIGEON SHOOTING. Really kind of simple.

    If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.