Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unmetered Supply

Options
  • 09-02-2023 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what exactly this refers to when it comes to street lighting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Public street lighting is unmetered

No meter No metered bills

Council maybe pays per light , no idea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

As Kirk said there's no electricity meter, so consumption isn't measured

Since the switch to led lighting represented a saving to councils, they presumably pay by consumption

I'm guessing that the consumption is estimated since the consumption per light, operating hours and number of lights is known

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

It's all on a database now isn't it

They probably know in real time nearly the estimated usage when lights are added or upgraded

I assume the council's are paying for a lot more than just usage

No idea how it works or if the even pay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

its just like any electricity. You agree a rate in advance per kWh with the supplier. Instead of the consumption being based on a meter read it is based as has been said on the typical consumption of that particular piece of equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,116 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well there's installation and maintenance, but I'm not sure the electricity supplier would handle that

Having said that, a few years ago the streetlights got replaced where I live and I think the vans had SSE branding on them

Could be that the provision of lighting and electricity supply are separate contracts

Pretty sure this stuff is all subcontracted out anyway

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭eusap

Sometimes local towns can get an unmetered supply for xmas lights etc.... some farmer can also get it for outfarms for low voltage e.g. fencing etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

speaking of streetlights, I noticed a survey of some streetlights by persons from this firm recently: https://lecheilelighting.ie/

They have a contract for retrofitting all (non-LED) streetlights with LED ones in 5 southern counties in the first stage of this project

Advertisement