Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JNLR 2022-4 report

Options
  • 08-02-2023 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

JNLR 2022-4 report is out today and released to the public tomorrow at 12pm.

I’ve a feeling Dublin listenership will continue fluctuate and will be most interesting to see the changes etc.

Comments

The whole jnlr thing seems like nonsense anyway, according to it, radio listening amongst 15-35yos is only down about 10% compared to 20 years ago,. I think it would have to be down at least 70%

• Registered Users Posts: 20,507 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your figures seem like nonsene to me. Where are they coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Expunge

Let's go then.....

“News fatigue” among the Radio 1 audience likely contributed to drops in listenership on the RTÉ station last year, it said, after new figures showed programmes including Morning Ireland and News at One have slipped further from their pandemic highs.

RTÉ Radio 1 loses listeners as ‘news fatigue’ erases pandemic bump – The Irish Times

And this little nugget from the same article on how Raydio Wann can be sexed up by the flailing editor of the station, Peter Woods....

"Mr Woods hinted at a possible shift in tone. Alluding to an item that had been included on an unnamed programme as light relief but “thrown away coming up to a news break”, the Radio 1 boss said he would discuss with producer teams how to “optimise” moments that offer listeners respite from heavy news."

I can hear Brendan Bendar's buttocks clenching in rage.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,528 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

How does Pat Kenny not have more listeners?

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Has Morning Ireland changed it's format in the past 25 years?

They're still doing it says in the papers and ridiculously long weather forecasts? Neither needed anymore given online sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Morning Ireland remains Ireland's most listened to radio programme on the only station that achieves a weekly reach of + 1 million. There wouldn't be much of a push for change if you are already top of the pile with what you are doing.

Maybe the people who listen to the radio, choose that source for their news and weather reports.... is there any need for anything else if everything can be got online? Obviously there are a viable cohort of people who are still radio listeners and prefer that source over online.

It is a mater of knowing your audience and providing for their taste and needs - there may be another issue arising about growing or maintaining a radio audience in a changing media landscape, but that is a different argument and at the moment, in the present situation, Morning Ireland is doing the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Spin 1038

RTÉ 2fm is not doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

If my twitter feed is anything to go by, every show on every station is up and #1 in it's slot/region 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Classic Hits Radio has its highest listenership % in the 15-24 age group - how is that possible ?

Looking at 98FM figures - how the once mighty have fallen.

Needlesss to say every station will have a positive spin on the figures and will be #1......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

I think 98 had its first positive book in a while though, if any mighty has fallen its FM104, they held a record Market. Share around 14% once, its way down. All the shows are down against Spin 1038. Drivetime has died, interesting to see if Graham and Nathan address that or move to 104 Breakfast now that Nobby has announced he's off.

Last time I heard 98FM it was skewing older, pushing Dance and R&B. Music was a bit hit and miss, but seems a new direction, it competing with 104 and Spin on Dublin as directly.

Radio audience is generally older now, see Sunshine cleaning up despite having all of 3 staff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

How can every radio station (officially anyway) be happy with their numbers?!?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The JNLRs aren't for the listeners, it's for the advertisers.

If they can spin the numbers into positives, then it gets more advertisers on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

They can’t be. Fm104 and 98fm both haven’t posted on twitter or Instagram about their JNLRs. Fm104 put up a general video about radio listening figures but it wasn’t about them. Radio 1, Spin 1038 and Sunshine all look like the stations to beat based on all the figures linked above

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Oh I understand that, and I know how spin works but almost every station (based on their social media) are very happy with the results. Someone had to lose!

Speaking of Sunshine, hard to see how it rates so well when it is run on a shoestring. No big personalities, no big cash competitions etc. Some would say like the old days with just a playlist lol.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think that’s because people who listen to Sunshine know what they’re going to get.

Could probably make the same argument for Spin.

I'd love to know what percentage of radio advertising income is coming from government departments and agencies. It wouldnt surprise me if such advertising is keeping most Radio stations afloat

Advertisement