Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

PC just died 😞

• 08-02-2023 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Unfortunately what worked yesterday no longer works today. I'm pretty sure it is the power supply as I have already had to replace the power supply in my build before when I encountered the same issue. But I figured I might as well go ahead and replace everything all at once rather than just the power supply on its own as the PC is old and it's time for an upgrade.

1. What is your budget?

I figure 1,300 or slightly above should be enough considering I can reuse the RAM, CPU cooler and case and SSD and normal hard drive.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?

Definitely gaming. I'm a big fan of simulation games and I mostly play Microsoft flight simulator 2020.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?

No I sort that myself even if it means sailing the high seas.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

Yes, I can reuse the SSD and hard drive as well as possibly the CPU cooler (I may need to look into whether I need a new mounting bracket for an AMD CPU if I go down that route)

I can also reuse the DDR4 RAM which I have 32 GB of.

5. Do you need a monitor?

Unfortunately my apartment is small so I play on my 4K TV, I figure at the distance I sit I could get away with playing at 1080p although I have considered VR as another option, especially for realism.

6. Do you need any peripherals?

No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?

Absolutely I have my current system overclocked both the CPU and GPU.

8. How can you pay?

Any method except carrier pigeon as birds terrify me 😂

9. When are you purchasing?

I should probably wait until I get another job. Hopefully soon but then again I guess replacing my beloved pc is what savings are for.

10. Do you need help building it?

Fortunately I think I should just about be able to manage, the biggest danger is ordering the parts and then procrastinating before sitting down and doing the build. Perhaps I should do something about my procrastination but it's late in the day so maybe I will get around to it tomorrow....

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/LKpyPX

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 3.4 GHz 8-Core Processor (€198.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (€38.68 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B550M-E WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€149.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)

Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card (€637.18)

Case: Jonsbo D30 MicroATX Mini Tower Case (€117.89 @ Caseking)

Power Supply: Corsair TX750M 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€99.90)

Custom: GPU @ MemoryC.ie

Total: €1242.54

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-08 18:16 CET+0100

Sub-30L mATX build.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Antipathetic

Thank you, I appreciate your help although I have decided to hold off a bit after I did some reading that Microsoft flight simulator benefits from AMDs 3d technology on some of their chips due to flight simulator taking advantage of the extra on board Cache.

According to one article I read yesterday, the new chips should be launching around the end of this month.

Don't let the terrorists in Israel win. Please donate to UNRWA now!

https://donate.unrwa.org/-landing-page/en_EN

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

5800X3D is available right now for around 340 euro

The cheapest Zen 4 chip (7800X3D) won't launch until April and will be 450-500 EUR.

Advertisement