Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is supposed to happen with a smart meter?

Options
  • 08-02-2023 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭

I got a call around last Easter that I was to be upgraded to a smart meter. I was away and asked if it could be deferred for a few weeks. It probably took a few months, but at some point last summer a fella came and installed the smart meter.

I asked him what to do with it. He told me I would be receiving some documentation in the post about how to make use of it and there would be an app I need to download. I never received anything. I don't know what to do with it nor where to get proper app. (does one even exist).

I changed supplier (to Electric Ireland) around about November and asked them about it. They were of no help at all. Like nothing!

I've just logged into my EI account and there is an insights option to compare different types of usage against similar houses in same area. The only graph giving me any analytics though is an overall one and it tells me I'm spending 50% more than average similar house in the same area. Other graphs which appear to breakdown things like lighting/heating/electric car show no comparison for me.

If I am reading correctly, it tells me I'm on a Home Electric + price plan.

So, I have a smart meter, but I don't know what to do with it. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

You don't have to do anything, unless you want to,

once the meter is installed, it will send detailed electricity readings accurately and automatically. This means that you'll no longer have to submit meter reads or worry about getting estimated bills.

You can take out a smart meter plan, to suit your needs if you like and think it's worth it, but thats up to you.

Ask ESB Networks to send you details

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As it stands; if you take out a smart meter plan once, or otherwise "activate" the meter by requesting the insights get turned on, you can only ever get smart meter plans ever again.

These do not make sense for the vast majority of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭sekond

I thought there was supposed to be a process being put in place where everyone could see their usage? That ESB networks were going to allow access to the data (because of all the complaints about having to go on a smart meter plan before you could find out whether it was any use to you).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

so do nothing then seems to be the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Yeah there is a link here for setting up an account with ESB Networks to do that.

I'm on a smart plan anyway with Bord Gais so didn't bother create an account.

Would also be curious to see does it work for someone not on a smart plan.

https://www.esbnetworks.ie/existing-connections/meters-and-readings/my-smart-data#:~:text=Customers%20with%20smart%20meters%20can,have%20access%20to%20your%20data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

Installation is OPTIONAL. You can email TLI in Killarney and opt out which is what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭head82

Had a smart meter installed just after Christmas.. not by request. Installers were in the area and asked to make an appointment for installation. After new meter was installed, I asked the chap "is there anything I need to know about this?". Unless I wanted to change my plan, there was nothing more required I was told. Meter was fitted with 2G and all usage would be relayed to my supplier for billing so no need for meter readings in person or sending in readings over the phone.

Grand! Until a couple of weeks ago, I find the slip in the door.. 'Sorry we missed you, please text in your current meter reading'. I didn't bother as I assumed I was good to go with the new meter doing all the work for me.

Couple of days ago I receive a bill through the door.. 'Estimated!!' WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

It takes a month or more for the meter to set itself up to upload its metrics automatically (dunno why it takes so long). I got an estimated bill at first, but I think now it's all sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭head82

Cheers for that! Wouldn't fancy another estimated bill the way things are going at the moment.

This is what I get:

Your data is not yet available.

We are currently working on making electricity usage data available for all customers who have a smart meter installed. This service is currently being rolled out and will take a number of months to complete. Unfortunately, your data is not yet available, so please check your account again in a couple of weeks. We thank you for your patience and understanding while we roll this capability out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭brokenbad

This is the data i can see from my EI account - i am on the Home Electric + Plan (Same rates day and night)

Data is only live since mid January but it gives me an interesting insight to usage patterns, cost, KW/h consumption, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

So is this "smart" thing connected to the web?

If so, how is it connecting? Through my router?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,871 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks for that.  It was very timely for me!

Would that be to info@tli.ie (the only email I found on TLI's website)?  My letter from Electric Ireland re approaching smart meters says on the right (under an MPRN number) "Customer Care; MD Installations Ltd", with a phone number (non-geographical I think); no email address.

And can we opt out at any stage before installation (e.g. as soon as we get the letter)?

It says my meter will be replaced with "a next generation meter", "over the next few months".  (The leaflet with it says we'll get a letter "a few weeks in advance" of our meter replacement, though there's no sign of when it was published).

Our existing meter is an external one on the front of the house, with a door that our Electric Ireland reader opens with a key, with fuses etc accessible from inside the house.  It was there when we moved in in the early 90s, and is still happily working away (with just a later, more rainproof design of box on it at one point).

I only got the letter today, but my first thought was how to make sure they don't suddenly install a smart one while we're out.

It wouldn't help at all with our consumption, which has always been as economical as is practical.  (The official advice on that seems very dumbed-down!).  And our heating is a solid fuel stove, cooker on bottled gas (no central heating, or storage heaters, and nowhere to put either anyway).  We don't use dishwashers or tumble driers, and our consumption at night is very small (running the washing machine then would be too noisy).  And it's just the two of us (with no relatives in this country, let alone teenage or younger!).

Are the SIMs in the smart meters the mobile phone type or the router type?  Another thing is that either way, I can't imagine one on our house being smart.  There's zero mobile phone signal from the front, where the meter is (or from the stretch of road that we're on), and practically none inside the house.  We can find a bit of signal by walking around outside out the back, if we're lucky.  And only from Three (no point trying other providers here).

We get the internet the only way we can from our house, via a SIM in a good router at roof level on the opposite side of the house from the meter (and pointing accordingly).  I use a wifi smartphone (and a laptop) over our WLAN, but its signal doesn't penetrate outside the stone-walled house (not that I'd want it to).

(It would also be nice not to have the interior part of our meter, that my husband designed our panelling around so neatly, interfered with!).

The ultimate nuisance for us would be if they installed a smart meter, then set it to prepay without our consent, maybe because of some perceived vulnerability, e.g. because we're in our 70s.  (I can't help thinking through What Ifs, but then that's served me well in other areas!).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Trying to find out if there's a schedule for installation of these meters (ie areas A-D Q1 2023, E-G Q2 2023 etc) . ESB networks replied by email to say "unfortunately we don't have a timeframe for installation in your area". Have to say, I find that impossible to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭BagofWeed

Hi, I e-mailed them over two years ago. I seem to recall getting a letter or leaflet about planned smart meter installations in the neighbourhood and I sent it to smartmeter@tli.ie and received a reply from the same e-mail address.

Hopefully someone can give you answer to the more technical bits of your post can reply here as unfortunately I wouldn't have much knowledge about sims, mobile phone/router types or even if they would force someone onto pre way.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thank you for sharing your experience, BagofWeed.

Sorry - in my previous post, for Electric Ireland read ESB Networks!

I've since found a few snippets of info. They include names of some of the contractors (including TLI) installing the smart meters on behalf of ESB Networks, so it looks as if my proposed installation isn't a TLI one (I imagine they cover different regions). The one named on my letter from ESB Networks looks like one of the smaller concerns (hence showing only a phone number).

It also looks as if the best approach is to tell ESB Networks first, and then tell the contractor (in case ESB neglects to). And to get as much in writing as possible along the way, to back up verbal acceptance of the opt-out. (And perhaps attach a notice to the meter as well!).

I'm still not clear whether they can proceed with an installation without a signature from me/us, but it seems ESB assume lack of response to be agreement. (Here's hoping they're easier to contact than Electric Ireland!).

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

Just switched over to EI+night boost smart meter (8-11 day, 11-8 night, 2-4am boost), was on original 24hr rate since it was installed. Letter from ESBn today saying meters is configured to MCC12.

The last time i clicked the button on the meter, i had A+ (Total), A+T1 (night), A+T2 (peak), A- (export) as far as i know..

The tariffs A+T1... etc dont line up with the new plan thou as there is no peak tariff - how will i know how much boost i have used between 2 & 4 am? or will the display on the meter change to line up with the new plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Got one of these ‘magic boxes’ just before x-mass…..with electric Ireland they offer a number of plans that supposedly help reduce my bills…..however given our usage pattern I don’t see much advantage into switching to any of the plans. One of the plans offers a free period between 2am and 4am…..another one offers half rate between 12am and 6am….and there a few other variations none of which would be that much more economical. The night rate may drop but the corresponding day rate rises….and they also claim that you will be issued with bills that show exactly what what each alliances in the house uses- I simply can’t understand how this can be worked out without some alteration to the Electrical circuits in the house….is there something I am not seeing here…?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Has anyone clarified whether or not you can "Enable Smart Features" to see smart data in your online Electric Ireland account, and still retain the option to stay on a 24h price plan now and again at next renewal?

My house has a smart meter (since before I bought it), but for now I have chosen a 24h plan due to the dire warnings re smart billing here. But of course I'd be interested to see the the insights into my usage patterns to make an informed choice in the future. But don't want to enable if there's no going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Dire warnings are always from people against change. They also tend never to have experience of the new things they whine about and get their information from fakebook or ThickToc

I have had a smart meter for almost two years. I'm on a smart plan and by understanding the insights I could change my usage patterns and use less and time things better.

My February bill was €154 for a large rural house with two of us here.

Rate plans have simplified and there's no difference in price between standard meter and smart meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Was that €154 before or after application of the government €200 credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

No, the warnings I have taken heed of are those who switched and saw increased costs due to peak charges, snd those who took timed readings and compiled spreadsheets, and saw that switching would not be to their benefit. Your petty insults don't answer my question or offer any useful information.

Personally I don't see how a smart tariff would benefit me as I cannot avoid using electricity at peak times and would not be in a position to be making use of night savings. Possibly the one with free electricity on Sat or Sun might offer some benefit, but Im not sure, due to increased unit rate for the other 6 days. I'd simply like a chance to look at my data and make an informed choice, but not willing to make an irreversible decision and be forced on to a smart tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They guess what is using electricity based on its fingerprint eg short high usage for a few minutes is a kettle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Thanks for confirming what I thought. It’s a lot of guesstimating/inexact stuff and a bit deceitful/false to be advertising that they can give you actual consumption/usage of individual household item

Have you looked at the ESB networks site? I've registered there, and in the last month or so I have been able to get details of my usage on a half-hourly basis (it's about 24/48 hours behind). No details of what appliances are causing it, but I can see the spike that happened when I know I had my dishwasher and tumble drier on at the same time, and I can see the (massive!) spike when I'm charging my car.

Now I just need to figure out how to calculate what plan is the best option for me - I see a lot of maths in my future...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

There's loads of waffle around solar and smart metering

Advertisement