Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for a 70th Birthday (old fashioned ol lad)

Options
  • 08-02-2023 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

So the old man is turning 70 soon and he is notoriously difficult to buy a present for. He's not into sport or music really. He just loves his work which is in the engineering and machinery and mechanical engines and the like. Loves tractors (I'm not buying him a tractor) and the history and development of them.

But even aside from that which I know is difficult to work with, any suggestions welcome at all. Any idea outside of the box would be great. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Think in terms of steam traction engines? https://www.amazon.co.uk/steam-traction-engine/s?k=steam+traction+engine

Take him to the Irish Steam Engine rally https://irishsteam.net/#:~:text=FULL%20STEAM%20AHEAD%20FOR%20THE,and%20vintage%20shows%20throughout%20Ireland. Though that is not till July so it would have to be a promise.

A book about traction engines - there are hundreds.

A flying lesson is always a great present and you get a very good feel of how an aircraft flies even on a stand-alone lesson. You get to climb, descend, bank, do climbing and descending turns at the outset. Eg you can get a 40 minute lesson at Weston for €140.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭wildwillow

A visit to the steam museum in Straffan. They run the engines on Sundays.

Maybe combine it with a nice lunch somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭NiceFella

Cheers all, some very good suggestions there!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A day out he will enjoy and remember.... My wish as I have a landmark birthday soon ? A chopper ride to all my favourite places. I have a route planned, Rather than something he needs to keep, an experience to enjoy and a lovely meal included of course... Three score years and ten is a landmark birthday,... very special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Unfortunately the Steam Museum only opens from May to October. If you wait until then, it well worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

Subscription to a magazine on Vintage tractors or machinery? A quick Google had a few suggested titles.

I did this for my late father a number of years ago, got him a subscription to a gardening magazine (his passion). He loved it, and I had a guaranteed Christmas gift for him every year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Depending on the budget, a good head torch or a trip to the great Dorset Steam Fair

Advertisement