Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement Light Switches

Options
  • 06-02-2023 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace a few one way light switches around the home. I am a DIY emthusiast and would know the basics when it comes to electrics, however the wiring in the old switches is a bit confusing. There are 3 wires- all grey outer sheathing (one black and 2 red inner sheathing) The house was built in 1980 so its the old wiring configuration. I ran the black wire to the Common connection and then both reds to the L1 and L2 connections but cant get switch to work. Connected both reds to L1 and L2 to see if ot would work but no joy. Thinking it would be handy enough i made the fatal error of not taking a photo of the old connection before i removed it....any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

It should be just the 2 reds into common and black to L1 i presume

Doesn't sound like 2-way

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

have you replaced another switch beforehand

this may be the issue if it’s not connected correctly

black core cables shouldn’t be used for light switches (I know it has previously worked so just pointing it out)

as Kirk has already pointed out,you should only be using the com and L1 connections(unless it’s a 2way switch,landing etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,819 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP Have you thought about getting your house rewired? It sounds like it could do with it.

Next time take a photo before you move wires you don't know what they do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Original fuse board was replaced 10 years ago. I replaced all the old ceiling roses and sockets myself in the last year. The switches were next on the list.

Advertisement