Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can An Post see my AIB account balance?

Options
  • 06-02-2023 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

I was just curious if you use An Post's AIB banking facilities to take out or put in money can An Post see your AIB bank account balance or is that information kept private?

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,118 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'd just ask them the next time you're in.

I know they can't see how much you owe on a bill if you pay it in there, so doubt they'd see a bank account balance

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

So nobody knows.

In this age of GDPR we're supposed to be living in and nobody knows whether people at An Post can see your bank account balance or not. I asked the question because I thought someone would know and I wouldn't have to ask someone at An Post about it. I know bank tellers at a bank can see your account balance. An Post are essentially working as bank tellers when they handle your banking for you. So they probably can but that depends on what data is shared between AIB and An Post.

Anyway I'm going to ask online on An Post website about it. It's not stated on the An Post or AIB website either. It's like they don't want people to know. I'm surprised nobody ever thought of this or seems to care.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,773 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Any update on this OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭phormium

My guess would be no they cannot see it. There is no way AIB are letting every post office teller see their customer balances, they are merely agents for AIB processing rather than a part of the bank system. But let us know the official answer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Even within a bank there are very few people who have access to the entire client list and it is audited to prevent things like staff going on fishing trips look up their neighbours details etc. So I agree with you it is very unlikely An Post staff can see very much about the transactions they are processing. But we may be proved wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭phormium

Very true! It has really tightened up and obviously rightly so, I'm old enough to remember when the financial institution I was in went computerised, on the training course when it was new live system the amount of looking up of well known/famous Irish people to see if they had mortgages! Always remember colleague shouting across the room what's Bono's proper name 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jimjangles

Oh sorry I got the answer ages ago. I chatted online to An Post. They can't see your account balance in An Post. They just act on behalf of AIB but can't see anything. Hope that helps for anyone else who was wondering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement