Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optician in North Kildare/Dublin?

Options
  • 05-02-2023 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Hi all

The time has finally come for glasses (for sure this time) and I need to get an eyetest. Can anyone recommend a good optician in north Kildare or Dublin, please? I went to one of the franchise branches a few years ago and didn't have a great experience, I'd rather stick to an independent but have no idea where to start. Suggestions gratefully received.

Thank you,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭xabi_a

There are so many of them.

You might qualify for a free eye test (from PRSI). Any optician can check that for you if you give them your PRSI details.

I'd say just pick an optician that seems reputable, that have been around for a while. Get the eye test done. If you're happy with their service, you can buy glasses from them.

But most importantly: if you're not happy, you can ask them for your prescription and go elsewhere. They will often try to sell you glasses immediately after the eye test, giving the impression that it's all part of the process. But they are two separate things! (Eye test, and buying glasses/contact lenses).

Just by the way, I don't like the franchises either but they can be better value. I paid €500 for a pair of varifocal glasses at a small opticians 5 years ago (very good service, very good glasses). Now I'm getting two pairs of varifocals for €300 from Specsavers (OK service, but a lot less cost).

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭davidm25

Thanks a million, Xabi_a. Yes, I'm happy enough to split the process so I would likely get the eyetest done with an independent and possibly move on for the glasses themselves if the cost was more attractive elsewhere. But I get the sense (right or wrong) that the eyetest itself might get more attention at an indepedent than one of the franchise - open to correction on that, but that's my sense...

Thanks a mil

D

Advertisement