Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Immersion tripping switch board when I turn it on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭harry999

In putting in a new immersion element - the old one has earth, brown live , blue neutral, and black. The new element - I see no black wire so do I just not connect the black wire coming in ? 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭meercat

You are replacing a duel immersion with a single immersion.

if you don’t use the black wire then the sink part of your time switch (boost) won’t work

ok thanks - when replacing - do you put jointing compound around rim - on both sides ? is this necessary ? would it make it hard to remove element when needs to be changed in future ? what name of compound you use ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

Just wondering why you would replace a dual element with a single one particularly with the price electric power of these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,010 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you have an insulated cylinder, you aren't really saving anything with a sink element vs the full one. It's a silly relic from the past when people bathed once a week, it seems to me.

• Advertisement

Boss white and horse hair on immersion thread and boss white both side of washer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

The dual immersion seems to be a relic fullstop

Theres too many of them wired up wrong and loose connections

Now theres some posters fitting smart switches and thinking they can fit separate controls for the sink and bath.I forgot about that myself when I was trying to comment on smart controls

• Registered Users Posts: 12,346 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You will save something as a longer element will heat more of the tank so a greater area for heat loss through the insulation, which only reduces the rate of loss, does not eliminate it.

The other issue is why heat say 90 litres when 45 might do, if its not used, then the energy is lost.

every litre of hot water that is not used and goes cool is costing you, roughly c 20 kW per annum if it occurs every day.

You might say thats not a lot, but my pipe run from tank to sink is 3 litres so c. 60 kms per annum, if done once a day, which is enough to drive 320 kms in my leaf.

looking forward to being pi$$ed in upon by the usual suspect who has already posted in this thread.😎

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Does it not jam them up

I seen some that were seized up after it

I tried without 'Boss white and horse hair on immersion thread and boss white both side of washer.' and getting a slight leak - so if i just try the horse hair would that work ? or I should use the boss white also ? Thks

• Advertisement

Both, to get a good seal.

boss white on thread first

wrap horse hair around ( against the thread)

boss white again

leave some of the thread visible so you can get a good start

do both sides of washer then.

ok thanks - with the boss white on will the element be able to be taken off in 2 or 3 years if need to change again ? Does it make it more difficult to remove element ?

Are any sparks fitting immersions now

I wouldn't have thought so with the high risk of leaks springing up

I shower every day, as do the other occupants of my house, so we'd always be using up that 90l in a day, and then some, so there is no saving to heating just a sinks worth when vastly more HW will be required than that - every day. As I said, it's nonsense from an era when people bathed once a week and had uninsulated cylinders.

If you have hard water, you should perhaps consider getting an element jacketed in stainless steel, as it should last longer. That said, my water is so hard it's gone through two stainless elements, so the next one will be jacketed in titanium, which I'll have to source from the UK.

Is stainless the "incaloy" type

Used to be about twice the price and then there was titanium

Nobody ever seems to fit them , always the cheap copper

Yes, they were incaloy. The one that came with my SS cylinder barely lasted 12 months and has rotted through as fast as a copper one. It's currently dead with a short to ground so it's offline. I will be replacing it with a titanium jacketed one. I can only find mention of them in the UK - do you know if any local places have them?

I swear I must have the hardest water in the country.

No Google brings up a lot of single element ones

Well single element is all I am after and seems to be all thats available in titanium anyway, but thanks. Uk it is then.

I reckon they should phase out the dual if there's no need for them

The regulations tend to make everything domestic idiot proof cos householders and DIY can be working on the installation and they're at risk from it anyway

It's simpler just to have a double pole switch and people can add a smart control without the risk of putting the 2 on together

• Advertisement
Advertisement