Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car tax

• 02-02-2023 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

If you didn't declare your old vehicle off the road it hasn't been driven and won't be just used for parts. But owe tax arrears due to this. And you want to buy a new car and tax it, will the tax arrears from the old car show up under my name when trying to tax new car? 😔😔

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 8 rstanley

Thank you so much for your reply. Even though the old car is still registered to my name ? Its not being driven but I didn't declare off road as honestly didn't know I had to. So now I'm sure tax arrears have built on it, it's at my old garage used for parts. Still in my name though. But if I'm taxing my new car this old tax for old car won't show up right? As its a new car new registration all that 😅😅 there's so many new regulations etc hard to keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

The old car doesn't matter in this case. Just tax the new one and that is it. If you transfer ownership of the old car, the tax arrears disappear.

Thank you. Panicking 😅😅 I don't even have the log book of the old car 😭

So what I'm getting is basically as long as I don't try to tax or drive old car there won't be any problems.

A new car is separate. Even if both are in my name.

Yes ?

Sorry I know I'm being annoying just afraid of any problems happening after so many problems before.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Yeah the tax follows the car not the owner. As long as the car is actually scrapped you’re all good 👍🏼

• Advertisement

Thank you 😅😅

It's not in a scrap yard or anything just an old garage I used to rent being used for parts still in my name not being used or driven it's not usuable I just didn't realise the stuff I had to do like documentation wise just had to get out of there.

But If it follows car not person/owner I should be good thank you so much for replying 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Arrears are actually not owed, until you decide to tax that car again.

Declaring car off the road is not obligatory. It's only there to protect you from paying arrears in case you are taxing that car again in the future.

If you never intend to tax it, then there was no need for off the road declaration, and there are no arrears due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭DBK1

Advertisement