Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phone tariff

• 02-02-2023 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭

Well it looks like I've finally been beaten.

Need to get my 13 year old a smart phone. I am going to try and get a second hand one for 200 bucks.

What's the cheapest tariff out there?

Tips appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Both of our kids are on Eir pay as you go, 20 euro a month.

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

You were doing well to hold out as long as age 13!

Both of ours got the cheapest pay as you go handsets available on Eir at the time, 110-120 euro and low end phones these days have all the functionality anyone realistically needs. Also we insisted the phones were paid for from their savings, and monthly fee from their pocket money (nana assists there).

We have F-Secure on all the family Android devices, when they were younger (tablets before they had phones) this was important for providing parental controls and the like. Google Family is another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Update on this.

Went for android second hand phone at cex for 200 euro.

The tariff is with eir and if you renew every 6 months, it's 15 euro.

Use google family link to enforce screen time limits.

Snap chat and tiktok are 15 mins per day.

Spotify is unlimited.

Total screen time is 1 hour 15 mins usually.

For PC gaming usage use MS family. Limits there are:

1.5 hours Friday evening, 2 hours Saturday, 1 hour Sunday.

And that's it.

By the way I can't stand 90% of screen time. I am very technical and have worked in IT a long time. My view is these things are fine tuned to be really addictive - in many ways and they really don't care about your kids welfare in the short term or long term. I played a good bit of computer games growing up - but they were no way near as immersive or as anti social as they are now.

I only gave in so he didn't feel like hippy kid completely out of place.

If anything it's the social aspects of gaming which is the worry now.

Instead of playing the likes of Manic Miner for hours on end on their own (or with their friends, physically there) they could be chatting online on multiplayer games with people you or they have no idea who they actually are

• Advertisement

Yes that's true. But I don't you and we are communicating. The bad thing is if you don't know where they go and they are meeting people they met online.

Even though we're all (presumably) adults here, it's a moderated space with rules. It all gets very messy when you have kids online interacting with others who might be kids - or might be adults pretending to be kids...

Advertisement