Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How negotiable are used cars from dealerships?

• 02-02-2023 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi. Im looking to buy a used car from a dealer. I never dealt with dealerships before. The car is listed for 28,000.

How much wiggle room is available on price if any?

I mean is it a silly idea to offer 24000?

Any help much appreciated as never done this before.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭User1998

Depends how reasonably priced the car is compared to similar cars.

€24,000 would usually be considered a ridiculous offer tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

Depends on a lot of factors and in todays climate with elevated prices i doubt if there is much wiggle room.

Also If you are trading in a car or buying straight. Generally if buying straight you may get a discount but id say its more like a few hundred euro rather than a few thousand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

I've been offered a discount for not trading in a car in the past, but it's not recent.

Saved the garage a little paperwork and having my old heap on the forecourt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭eusap

Only wiggle room is maybe ask for fresh tyres or first service etc... and tank of fuel, no hope of 4k discount unless its a car sitting there for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

I’m at the same thing at the moment and have bought lots of cars of the years as has my wife.

visited 2 or 3 garages lately but none of them are budging from asking price. And I am buying straight with cash.

is this the way it is now.

years ago you would haggle a grand or two off …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Helped my mam by a car last year, main dealer, 25k asking I got €500 off after really pressing him. Even tried for a free service aswell, he refused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

It’s is amazing how times have changed driven largely by the shortage of used cars.

Unless you are coming with complete scrap, a garage will now favour someone with a trade in.

A garage will much prefer someone buying a car on finance arranged by the garage in question. In some cases the commission a garage will receive on a finance introduction will exceed the profit margin on the sale itself.

So a ‘straight cash deal’ is no longer very attractive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd say you would do well to get 500 off if it is a popular model.

As others say it's a seller's market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dealers currently have no reason to discount sale prices. Good second hand stock is scarce and in huge demand.

All the same, tell him you have 26k to spend, you might end up with 300-500 quid off.

Might.

Advertisement