Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electricity bill

Options
  • 02-02-2023 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Apologies if this is posted in the wrong forum! I am with Bord Gais for my electricity. I never received the recent credits from the government to reduce my bill… when I go into my account online it says I’m in credit up to a few hundred euro.. I contacted them recently about this and their customer service was abismal.. they said I need to submit a meter reading this month to rectify this. Is there anything else i can do? I was on the phone for 13 mins also before I got through 😤

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

So you are a few hundred in credit. Why do you think you never received the governent credits? Is this not the reason you are now in credit?

I'm not sure what you have a problem with? Is it that you think they have been under estimating and that you will receive a large bill once an actual readin is done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭beachhead

To be clear you say you are in credit on your account with Bord Gais.Is the credit partially or wholly the government credits? Have you looked at your account history to see where the credit has come from?Have you been making making payments into your account?Is does not harm at all to submit meter readings regularly(once a month or a week before your bill is due).As for the length of time on the phone that's normal for most companies these days.Most staff are still working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tamara25

Yes I have received the government credits as I can see it on my account but the 2 amounts we received so far have never been taken off my bill? My bill has always been around 170 monthly & it has rose to 230 over the last 3 months roughly. I’m just frustrated that my last few bills have been so high as we are so cash strapped with the cost of living…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Bord Gais increased their prices on 2 Oct 22. Could this be the reason for the increases you are seeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

I'm a bit confused. If it's showing on your account it has been credited. The billed amount will have gone up due to the general increase in prices.

The overall account tally will include the government credit.

• Advertisement

Sorry, I will try to make it clearer! Yes I can see the money is there when I log into my bot gais account online but I haven’t physically received the discounts yet if that makes since? I will just ring bord gais again to try & sort it out I think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Are you on level pay?

I've heard of people on level pay who keep getting billed despite having credit on their accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Have you had a bill issued since 1st January 23?

Yes our last bill came out on 23 January

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you will still get bills for the energy you consume. The Govt. money is applied as credits to your account and the bills are debits.

You said in your first post that your account is currently in credit to the tune of a few hundred euro, that means that you don't owe them money at the moment (technically, they owe you) so you need do nothing. A bill is not always a demand for payment - if you're on level pay or currently in credit, you don't have to do anything when you get a bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭89897

Have Bord Gais been taking the money from your account? The same amount thats on the bills? You will still receive bills they just wont be debited.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

Government credit will reduce your DD amount. Just cross check if a bill total is higher than the DD collected. Or, depending on the provider, a credit will show up one or the other way on the bill and is will be reflected in the reduced total. Just read the bill yourself, don't need to call customer service. By the way, 13 min to get though when we have such a huge staff shortage is very very good!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,767 ✭✭✭893bet

Are you on level pay? I think you are?

I am circa 800 in credit and my level pay went up from 150-180 or something like that.

i rang and requested it to be moved to 100 and they had no problem doing it.

Thanks for your reply, yes found out since I was on level pay. I think it’s sorted now. I just find when I ring bord gais im getting different advice/instructions each time and it’s very frustrating 🤔

Advertisement