Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registration from chassis number.

• 02-02-2023 12:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi would anyone be able to find out if a golf gti chassis number WVWZZZ17ZDW290729 was Irish. It is for sale in uk as previously registered out of uk . I suspect it could have been Irish can someone tell me thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

I put that code into a couple of VIN decoders and it keeps coming up as a 1100 cc three door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

If you had access to the car, you could tell - Irish type 17's never had rear foglights, and there was never a wire in the rear or dash looms for it. Even if a rear foglight was retro-fitted to an '83 Irish car to pass a UK MOT, the added wire would be obvious, unless the rear and dash looms were changed for UK ones (extremely unlikely, unless the loom was changed for other reasons).

I doubt that those VIN decoders are that knowledgeable, as there's no info in a VW VIN on which trim-level/model of Mk1 Golf the VIN belongs to.

For entertainment's sake, here's the info contained in the VIN:

WVWZZZ17ZDW290729

W - Made in Germany

VW - Volkswagen

ZZZ - blank filler characters

17 - type 17 (Mk1 Golf)*

Z - blank filler character

D - 83 model year (Aug '82 - July '83)

W - Made in the Wolfsburg plant

290729 - the 290,729th Mk1 Golf (of all trim levels) made in Wolfsburg during the 1983 model year

PS: On the strut behind the grille, under the bonnet latch, there is a body plate, with a bar-code (to be read on the production line) with a long number underneath, and the first three digits define the week number (of the calendar year, not the model year), and the day number (1 = Monday, 2 = Tue, etc), so you can confirm what date the body was completed and painted (the car might have been fully completed that same day, or the one after).

*The 1 defines a VW passenger car. The digit after defines the model - others include: 4 - Karmann Ghia, 5 - Golf Cabrio, 6 - Mk1 Jetta, 7 - Mk1 Golf, 8 - Mk2 Jetta, 9 - Mk2 Golf. Since single digits are exhausted, later Models use a letter, eg: 1K - Mk5 Golf.

Zzzz

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The one I use for Mercedes cars is absolutely spot on. Even gives the order number it came in on

• Advertisement

Merc VINs (and pre-1980 chassis numbers) give a lot more info, not to mention the Data Card, if you get it with a car's documents.

Which VIN decoder do you use? - I have a few VINs to check.

Advertisement