Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Network setup

Options
  • 31-01-2023 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm moving into a house which as been CAT6 networked throughout. I plan to use the network (ethernet) points to connect: 1 x TV in sitting room, 1 x TV in kitchen, 1 x PC in home office for internet access. This will free up wi-fi bandwidth.

I have organized for Vodafone Gigabit broadband and modem to be installed once we move in.

What hardware do I need to purchase to allow for internet access through the ports mentioned above? Will the modem do this job or do I need a switch?

Where is the best location to ask the installer to run the cables to for the modem.? (House is a small 4 bed so hopefully Wi-fi range will not be an issue). I assume you need to keep all equipment required together to avoid having to run additional cables

Thanks in advance for our help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

If it is wired "throughout" , all cables will lead to central location(util room). Therefore , installing router at same point would be preferable for LAN distribution. However, depend on util room location, this might not work for best WiFi. You have options - get WiFi distribution by other means (dedicated AP, mesh kit)or manage to get at least one Ethernet link from router location to to central point where all cables meet(will require network switch for distribution to the rest of house).

as sample :

Incoming connection >> router in sitting >> Eth to the port on the wall(sitting) >> switch for further LAN distribution(util room)

TV can be connected direct to router

Post edited by smuggler.ie on

Advertisement