Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Irish Government Bonds

Options
  • 31-01-2023 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Anybody know the cheapest way to invest say €100k in one specific Irish Government Bond? I'd prefer to use an execution only service. None of the on-line platforms I looked at allow you to trade in Irish Government bonds.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭JPup

Probably Davy Select would be my guess although worth giving Goodbody a call too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

Thanks for that. Davy's minimum purchase is €200k. Goodbody looks like the only alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 John_100

did you find anyone cheaper than Goodbody who charge 0.5% commission on bonds (slightly higher as 1% on the first 20K i think)..cantor fitzgerald (also 0.5% commission) are out as they charge an annual fee of 0.5% on your account value..degiro only change €3 per trade for bonds but i would not put 100K or more into a degiro account no matter what..ok for small accounts of 20K to 30K

it appears that Goodbody are the best all round for large value purchase of bonds..but i would use a limit order when buying as the Irish Treasury bonds are quoted on several european exchanges..and every 0.01 change on 100K is €10..so easy to save yourself around €500 with a limit order as there can be big difference in the quotes on the various exchanges

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭mcardler

No, I didn’t find a cheaper alternative. I did however open an account with Degiro on account of their very cheap trading fees. I haven’t bought yet as I’m not convinced it’s yet the time to buy. I can’t see that Degiro would be any more risky than Goodbodys but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I bough Irish Govt Bonds on DeGiro, commission = 3 euro.

Advertisement