Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

09 Yaris drinking oil

• 30-01-2023 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My mothers Yaris is guzzling oil. (about a litre every 300km)

Its not smoky.. thers no leak, she has had the car since new about 150K Km on it.

Anything obvious i should be looking for/at?

Ive literally been topping it up every week for her last few months.

Its been serviced in main dealers since new and they just fob her off saying its normal! (its not!-- it uses about 5 gallon drums of oil between services)

Thanks,

MArty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭GavPJ

Holy Fc UK that is a lot!!!! Toyota petrol engines are famous for using a bit of oil

but that is unreal.

If it is not smokey and not leaking, it is a very strange one but there is no way

it should be going through that amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Thanks Gav-- oh i know its ludicrous-- and its been that way a while now.. she comes into me every 300KM and it takes at least a litre, sometimes more.

Hoping someone here will be familiar with said engine and point me in the right direction, shes thinking of getting rid of it and forking out for a brand new one which would be a shame as she is 80 and could do without the expense, and she has brought it to main dealer only since new.(against my advice after a couple of years)

I have a scope i could drop down into the cylinders which might highlight something, but was hoping someone here would say.. 100% its the PCV valve or similar (which i have popped off incidentally and cleaned and seems to be free enough)

Thanks,

Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭whizbang

Could be gunk in the head cover too; poke a screwdriver around the pcv hole and see if anything comes out.

Presume the hose isnt blocked, - is there a breather filter in the intake end of the hose ?

Run the car for a while with the PCV removed and see how much oil its loosing..

Thanks Whizbang-- thats good thinking right there 👍 .. ill try that next day it comes in! ... just a note.. if it is running and i pull the hose off the PCV.. the engine stops immediately, is that normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Try clean out the PCV and make sure it has a clear port into the valve cover. That is the best case scenario.

Other than that, there are only two possibilities - knackered cylinders or rings, or bad valve stem seals. Ultimately, it doesn't matter as it will not make economically sense to fix either.

Maybe just drive it away and keep a gallon of cheap Aldi oil in the boot for occasional top up.

That will be grand a while be eventually the ash and **** from the oil will knacker the catalytic converter. Then it is NCT fail, and then it is scrap time.

• Advertisement

Thanks ill give that a try, i will say though-- its not a bit smoky, which doesnt really add up to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭pauly58

No help to you I know, but we have a 1999 Yaris with 243k on the clock & doesn't use a drop, progress eh.

😂.. had a 98 Starlet myself for 10 or so years.. 208K miles when i sold it, never burned a drop either, and it wasnt exactly minded very well. (often went a LONG time without oil change)

Advertisement