Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self Leveling Compound On Top Of Slate for New 500L Hot Water Tank

• 30-01-2023 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi,

I want to install a new water tank in this corner (tank = 660mm diameter, tank footing = 490mm).

The slate on the ground is 1070mm square (and pretty heavy if i had to move it).

Is there some kind of self leveling compound i can pour here which would set strong enough to sit a tank on top of?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

This may not be relevant but what I've done in the past for HWT's is place them on rubber out door mats of this type https://www.amazon.co.uk/MYOYAY-Eco-Sport-Interlocking-Heavy-Duty-Playground/dp/B08XMCVWJL/

Don't ask me were I got the idea from but I like them as they are rot proof, damp proof, somewhat insulating and takes up the shape of the tank while supporting it. No reason you couldn't put down some self levelling compound first.

You could just as easily level the area required with cement.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lebigmacncheese

Yea i was thinking about putting some kind of rubber matt down alright, but it's dipping into the corner a bit so think i need to level it a bit first either way.

I don't have enough clearance to add a thick base of cement on top of the slate, and was thinking any thin layer of cement based product would crack under load....and I dont' reallt fancy moving the slate to pour a little base either...so was thinking there's be some other kind of plastic / resin based stuff i could just pour over the slate that would be very strong / wouldn't crack / wouldn't turn to powder over time.

I used this Sika stuff to seal aorund the bottom of a door before, wonder if that or something similar (cheaper) is available.....

Sikafloor®-263 SL N

2-part epoxy self-smoothing resin floor finish

Sika Latex ultra Floor levelling compound, 25kg Bag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

You'll be surprised at how little pressure that tank exerts on its base. It's easy to calculate and I bet it's less than when you'd stand on one foot - which obviously doesn't lead to the screed cracking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You could stick it on some kingspan rigid insulation, it will find its own level and wont go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

is the tank footing flat or is it a rim: my guess its a rim

The water will be 500 kgs plus what ever the tank weights so not to be messed with.

I would get a piece of 6mm steel plate say 600 mm square and then mix a small piece of sand cement, maybe 4 to one, keep it fairy stiff, get a drop of admixture of you can to make it really easy to work with, and then level the steel plate on the thin layer of sand cement, just enough to level it up. Tank will slide easily enough on the steel pate before you fill it

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

If this is for a conventional copper cylinder you should avoid resting it directly on any cement based finish (screed or levelling compound) as direct contact with cement can lead to corrosion over time. So if you are levelling use a piece of plywood, vinyl floor covering or similar as a separating layer. If you're worried about the levelling compound cracking you could add a small bit of SBR into the mix to increase adhesion and overall strength.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If it's a new hot water tank won't it have deformable insulation at the bottom?

Regardless, I like the idea of putting it on a sheet of thin, strong insulation because that will further prevent heat loss and won't destroy the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A piece of thin ply (8mm) sandwitched between two layers of carpet underlay. Insulation, structural support and self-leveling all in one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cinnamonsticks

you can get them rubber mats from most agriculture suppliers/outlets, i got some nice big ones for a home gym, they are rugged and can cut to size with a stanley, they have have 100s of KG on them no bother. think they was 50euro for a 8x4ft sheet

similar to these

https://nrrubberproducts.com/collections/agricultural/products/cubicle-mat

Advertisement