Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fuse box and shower replacement

Options
  • 29-01-2023 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

Folks, Fuse box in the house we bought looking a little long in the tooth, thinking of getting it upgraded/modernised or what ever and also have an electric shower replaced with a newer silent model want to get the model myself and just have the sparks replace it. pics below of fuse box and shower

Been getting a lot of different quotes for the replacement of both ranging from €750 up to over €2k, where should i be roughly landing for these jobs lower end or higher or are they all way off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'd imagine you would be charged for a complete new installation rather than a replacement. A like for like replacement is around €400 supplied & fitted. Problem is in your case it needs to be totally rewired from shower to fuse box. I'm pretty sure you will also need to replace the fusebox itself. The tails might need upgrading.

A regular full installation might be around €1000 supplied & fitted but I could see the €2k mark in your case.

You say that you want to pick out the shower yourself. Just a heads up on that. It should be cheaper for the tradesman to supply the shower. I buy 3 or 4 dozen showers at a time. I definitely get them cheaper than you can. You have a Pumped Electric Shower. There are only two different Pumped Electric Shower on the market. Mira Elite SE & Triton T90SR. The Triton T90SR is far better than the Mira and costs around the same. Any other showers you see online are mains fed showers or not electric showers at all (power shower). In my experience the homeowner usually buys the wrong shower. It's worth taking to the installer first before you choose a shower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

Sleeper12 is spot on when saying it’s likely your mains tails will need upgrading

if you distribution board is being replaced then it’s a requirement that 16mm are installed

your earthing needs to be done also as part of this process

the whole house needs to be tested and certified also

any issues discovered (such as no rcd protection on immersion,that you have there)need to be rectified

if the shower has also to be redone then then the cost should be at the higher end of the scale.

if either job is being done then you should request a certificate from the rec.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

That's probably a 50amp board with 10sq tails

Likely 6sq main bonding and earth too

No RCD on immersion was problematic

A lot of the fuses were just swopped out for 63 afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Thanks for the response lads just been crazy couldn't reply sooner.

Got on to a sparks about the shower he said he will get a triton made in maynooth not one of those British ones you get in woodies or b&q cause the warranty doesn't apply here... And 370 for the shower and 80 for installation.

The spiel about the showers Sounds a little off to me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭meercat

if it’s a Triton t90sr then the cables need to be 10mm (page10)

ive heard earthridge (the warranty agent) will not warrant any showers wired without 10mm and also they require a certificate from the rec. you should be provided with a certificate for any electrical work in the bathroom anyway.

he will also have to check that your installation is capable of taking the load and that the mains and earthing are sufficient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

All that doesn't bother me what needs to be done needs to be done, just want to know why the actual physical shower unit is costing 100 more than the shops, I can't find it anywhere for sale at that price in let alone trade price which I naturally can't see but would assume it's cheaper than woodies b&q etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,905 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

This makes him sound like a cowboy. All Triton T90SR showers come through Maynooth Shower Maintenance. They do Not supply the trade. They supply electrical wholesalers, trade counters and Woodies. The warranty is the same for all T90SR showers no ma what shop you buy them from. He is trying to charge you €380 for a shower that you can get €100 cheaper from just about any outlet.

As mentioned above you will require 10mm cable and he needs to issue you with a cert.

I would strongly recommend ringing around.

Advertisement