Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardtail recommendations for beginner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭okane1

Some other options out there for trial specific framesets

Stoic 3 | CANYON IE

Radon Cragger 7.0 Hardtail 29" | Bike-Discount

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The biggest difference with budget bikes is a dropper post and a nicer fork. Better brakes are also a plus. I wouldn't be too fussed with 11 Vs 12 speed or Deore Vs XT.

The Radon is great value with a Marzocchi Bomber Z2, dropper post, 12 speed and 4 piston brakes. At 130mm the Z2 has slightly less travel than the other bikes with 140mm but if you're pushing it hard you could add a volume spacer or two to slow down the travel towards the end of the compression so you're not bottoming out.

The Canyon Stoic isn't a bad bike nor would the €1,350 2022 Orbea Laufey but hard to beat the Radon for the fork. The Marzocchi Bomber Z2 is a worthwhile upgrade over a Rockshox Recon RL, it's a €550-600 fork which you might not want to upgrade yourself on a budget bike. Save your money for nicer wheels if you want to upgrade. The Rockshox will do the job but the Radon won't cost any extra to get a nicer fork and the rest of the bike is a nice spec.

At €1,500+ the Ragley is poor value, only 10 speed, no dropper and still using a Rockshox Recon RL. The Vitus is slightly better with the Bomber Z2 but pushing €1,600.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

The radon looks good value alright but their geometry chart is pretty terrible. There is no reach measurement and no BB height given. I would want to know those before purchasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alert25

I went with the Vitus Sentier 29 VR

Paid the deposit last sunday and collecting them(one for partner as well) next sunday.

Thought I did enough research but this week started reading up on the seemingly age old debate in mountain biking of 27.5 v 29er.

Thinking now did I make the right choice?Or will I have buyers remorse in a few months time.

I am 6ft , my cycling partner is 5ft6. The nearest single track is the trail centres in gortin(1hr15mins away) and davagh(1hr30mins away) and the Mournes are about 2hr 30 mins away so realistically we'll be riding mainly xc/gravel routes.

Is the 29er a good choice?

If in a years time I really didn't like the feel of 29er would changing to 27.5 fit the existing frame well and what would the costing be like?

All help appreciated 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

29er's are the way to go, especially for your height. 27.5 is pretty much being phased out apart from mullet setups on enduro bikes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement