Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reserving registration number 231

• 29-01-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭

Could a dealer get us an easy to remember car reg number? Or is this process out of their control?

Not looking for a specific number, but for example I prefer 231-X-1500 instead of -1499.

I found out you can reserve a particular number for a fee of €1000, but that's not what I am looking for.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

2 options:

1) you reserve a number and wait for it to come in sequence

2) you don’t reserve a number and you get the next number for that county

There aren’t really any other options beyond the dealer chancing it and registering yours at the same time as a few others and getting something ending in a 0 or whatever. That’s dependant on no other dealers also registering a car in the county at that particular time :)

but yeah, it’s mainly option 1 or 2 above, dealers want your car out the door and paid for rather than fluting around with reg numbers and delaying the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭PeteK*

Do you think the dealer can see what number it would be when they're registering it decide not to go ahead with it?

No, they don’t see the number til after the car is registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No -if that was the case, no one would pay the €1,000 and chance their arm instead.

I'm not sure if it's still the case but some County Councils didn't release 'cherished' numbers in the general release presumably hoping to sell them. So for example, they might go from 999 to 1001.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭zg3409

I heard some people go online on January 1st at say 5 minutes past midnight and register their new cars hoping to get "1" or a very low numbers. Number "1" in some counties is reserved for VIP such as cork, but not in other counties.

Some people "accidentally" register their car in the wrong county to get a specific county letter or to get a better chance of a low or non reserved number, as in someone wanting 231 C5 on a car type C5. Some people used their correct address and town but put in wrong nearby county hoping to still get the registration documents, others used a friend or families address but may be risky as speeding fines and points may go to wrong address and may have insurance implications unless you register the car later as in say you moved home to get correct address on paperwork but this service is free and does not impact number of owners if same owner at old and new address.

It may be possible for county council staff to have access to registration number assignment lists, I know many fire engines got 999 possibly through an informal process.

As mentioned a friendly motor dealer registering half a dozen cars may be able to give a better chance of a low or round number. Council staff may also know last issued number. Lease companies also often register dozens of cars together.

• Advertisement

You can also correct the address online on first taxing of the new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

See:- https://www.revenue.ie/en/vrt/documents/vrt/vrt-15a.pdf

When I was a driving instructor I used to apply for "1" each year. When there was more than one application for the same number it was randomly selected. (Drawn from a hat I was told) I never won and my money was always returned. Back then fee was €315.

They used to reserve 1-200 until around 2011 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Then how has there not being two cars registered in a County with the exact same number and if this did happen what then? Surely there should be some database that all car dealers can see so they know what number to register a car and what numbers someone might have bought out. If not there should be.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭User1998

The dealer doesn’t decide the reg number. There is a database and your just given the next available number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭M3CS

What are you on about? The dealer doesn't decide what the registration number will be or put it in manually themselves. A sequenced number is automatically generated during the registration process once the owners details are submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭cml387

That reminds me of a Viz top tip:

Get yourself a personalised registration plate by changing your name by deed poll to the registration number of your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,508 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Awe OK. Very good. I did not know that. That's makes sense now.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement