Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tools getting rusty in shed

Options
  • 29-01-2023 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I've recently put a new corrugated iron and clear plastic roof on a small 4m x 5m shed. The shed is a single course of block. there is a double glazed window and pvc door. There is plenty of ventilation in the eaves / edges of the roof.

I've started putting tools in there that have been in dry storage for years. Now there is constant codensation on the roof and it drops on tools, work bench, shelves. The timber rafters are wet and getting mouldy. Hand tools are rusting badly and I've noticed codensation on power tools.

I want to get this sorted, clean up the rust and prevent this from happening again..

What are my options here, I don't think I have the space for internal insulation. I'm thinking, dehumidifier might be the solution or putting a fan and heater in there to keep the damp air moving out.

Note the concrete floor is bone dry.

Hope you can help.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any chance to line the inside of the roof with WBP maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Any shed or outbuilding which is subject to flows of air from outside will be subject to condensation on its contents when the external temperature drops on a cold night. Tools and metal objects with a high emissivity will loose heat first, and when they reach the dew-point of the cooling air, they will collect condensation on their surfaces and cause surface rust.

Ventilating will help but only if you're sufficiently insulated and not letting the shed get to the point where there is a high RH when the temp is dropping. Otherwise if you go down the dehumidifier route, the vents should be closed to a minimimum so that you're not trying to "boil the ocean".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i don't have a lot of airflow in my shed and only occasionally have issues with condensation on tools; usually when there's a rapid increase in temp and humidity after a spell of cold, so the moisture in the warm humid air condenses on the still-cold tools.

it's got a felt on WBP flat roof, and is ventilated, but no 'cross' ventilation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Many of my tools on wooden shelves are the same - they don't collect much condensation, but other tools such as saws on the far side of the shed which is cooler (due to shading from the sun) are very difficult to keep rust-free. I'd guess that much of this would also depend on the thermal mass (longer retention of heat) and quantity of metal items within the shed as there would be more surface-area for the same level of condensate within the air.

probably not going to be massively useful, but something like this in the shed you'd occasionally wipe over tools, couldn't hurt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I get this all the time. My solution is to keep my tools in waterproof toolboxes and use tools that are less likely to get damaged by condensation.

This is my main toolbox I keep out in the barn for woodworking https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001SY4TOU/ whenever I open it I give it a overhead spray of WD40.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement