Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are the Government's partly liable for smoking diseases?

• 29-01-2023 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You can't use them responsibly. By not banning Tobacco they're partly culpable for deaths and illnesses that occur.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,825 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Governments historically yes.

you’d need some balls though and a pretty decent grasp of embodying leadership to get a cigarette ban over the line.

By that I mean enabling and enacting laws to criminalise and convict people who would both manufacture cigarettes for the black market and those who’d illegally import them and those who’d procure them for use...

I’d say Fianna Fáil decided they would go after cigarettes… they are in one fail swoop, making themselves unelectable.

Prevalence of smoking in the percentage of men and women ages 15 and over who currently smoke any tobacco product on a daily or non-daily basis is around 20.08% of us..1 out of every 5 people over 15.

that’s where the ‘balls’ part comes in… because any political party who floats this idea will kill almost their ability to be elected. Much easier to throw another euro on a pack every few years, to placate people.

if the political movers and shakers across the spectra of political parties had the balls… had the interests of the country… had the citizens interests as a priority…they’d release a joint statement, saying….

“ doesn’t matter who you elect, we are ALL in agreement that we shall make it illegal for cigarettes to be manufactured in Ireland, illegal to be imported into Ireland, illegal to be sold in Ireland. “ give a certain heads up maybe 3 years. From legislation passing to be enacted.

pretty difficult to import cigarettes on the sly in any serious number. To make it attractive. The resources and technology already available to customs in terms of HD X-Ray with duel view imaging, particle detectors etc are only getting better..will only improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The government never shoved a fag into anyone's mouth and forced them to smoke it so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Absolutely. Give a deadline and say that's your lot. I think more people than you might expect would get on board with it. Most people want to quit anyway,an extra incentive might be a positive.

Plenty of alternatives in patches,gum or vapes if you must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

No more responsible than when I cut myself shaving. I am responsible for my own bad habits. Personal responsibility is a lesson we need to relearn in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,457 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Never forced anyone to build a house in Donegal either,but here we all are paying for them.

• No absolutely not. This notion of the government being the sole bearer of blame whenever we decide as humans to do something fcuking stupid is reprehensible. They’re either a nanny state or not doing enough it’s ridiculous.

Listen if you pick up a cigarette and smoke that’s a choice YOU made. If the person next to you has never smoked in their life that’s THEIR choice. The government does not need to stand over every decision adults make because they’re potentially or outright bad ones.

the government have done a lot to reduce people smoking and taking up the habit. Things that have been well researched and proven to work (banning advertising, plain packs, the warnings and images).

banning the sale of tobacco will lead to nothing but a massive revenue stream being halted because smokers will smoke one way or the other.

100% agree.

but the government are 100% forcing 100% of the adult taxpaying public to bank roll our healthcare services.

I can’t in fairness contact anyone in government and say “ hey i never smoked “ give me a lower rate of tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭BagofWeed

Lets just make smoking mysterious and attractive by banning it. There's a sick, 'I don't like it so you can't do it' attitude here and it's one of the Irish social traits I despise the most. There's a large amount of people in this land here who must have some serious mothering issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

It's not like people are trying to ban marmite. More like banning firearms or banning crapping on the street.

Rape is ‘banned’. I doubt anyone would perceive that act to be mysterious and attractive. Really don’t get that logic… Heroin is banned too, don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone utter.. “ god look at that cool assed junkie “

there is plenty of education and evidence regarding smoking that will prevent a mysterious attraction from being formed.

would you take the same issue with speeding on roads….” I don’t like it, so you can’t do it “

or maybe….like smoking, It’s been proven to be unsafe, it kills and injures people, so we don’t allow it.

smoking…. Kills thousands a year, adds a major burden on our health service….hundreds of doctors, nurses and so on, treating and helping people with smoking related illnesses…. Could be in orthopaedic hospitals and wards, could be helping people with problems not self inflicted. Cutting waiting lists and enabling better prognosis’s for people who have had accidents for example. An absolute dearth of physical rehabilitative beds, and services in Ireland…compared to other civilised countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭blackbox

There's a great history of banning things being a success...

...NOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If you stopped everyone from smoking it will improve things for maybe 10 years, then you'll be back to square 1 because the would-be smokers are now older and coming in with other things. A lot of smokers only go to hospital to be told they're fcuked and have morphine pumped into them while they wait to die from dehydration. Yet everyone still gets old and gets sick and dies eventually. To really improve the healthcare here in Ireland you have to tackle the inefficiency which is even less palatable to politicians than banning fags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

And you will still be paying for all the healthcare for those that use smuggled and counterfeit fags, as well as the cost of the ineffectual police and legal system's pathetic but costly failing to enforce the ban while the tax take is instantly reduced to zero.

• Rape is not banned it’s illegal and I’m sorry but are you that stupid to conflate the two?

Seriously? That’s the best comparison you had to smoking? Rape?

Fcuk me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,257 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The Government's <what> is partly liable?

It’s banned..it’s also illegal … From the dictionary…

Banned : officially or legally prohibit (something).

Prohibit : formally forbid (something) by law, rule, or other authority.

"all ivory trafficking between nations is prohibited"

and you decide to call me stupid ? Hmmmmm

• Oh no that’s not why I called you stupid. I called you stupid because you compared the attraction to smoking that might be induced if it were banned to rape.

Here’s a more sensible one for you though: cannabis. It’s got major appeal among teenagers for example and is illegal in Ireland. Smoking and vaping in recent years has become quite attractive to teenagers because it’s illegal to buy them and smoking has always had this weird connotation for being “cool”.

But that said never in my life has ANYONE ever said or even attempted to compare smoking with rape. I just cannot get over that was the best you could come up with.

But to make matters worse rather than even appear to understand how stupid that was you then go on to be a little smart arse and quote me the dictionary definition of the word “banned”. Smoking won’t be more attractive to kids than it already is if it’s banned.. because no one ever felt that way about rape good fcuking sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If they're responsible for a dodgy company using dodgy bricks to build a house, then yeah, they are. It is the 21st century after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm fat and have an obesity related illness (type 2 diabetes). Clearly it's not my fault and nothing to do with the choices I made in my life. It's all the Government's fault.

Advertisement