Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visible roof joists

Options
  • 29-01-2023 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

In the past week, the roof joists are showing through in the ceilings. I'm at a loss as to why, they seem to be bulging or something. I moved in here mid November and they weren't there. Recently got insulation done. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

It looks to me to be a joint in the plasterboard has'nt been taped or screwed propery.

Someone walking above would have caused the joint to crack

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

no amount of screws or tape will stop that from cracking. its too much deflection in the ceiling joist that is the problem. the timbers are either too small or not enough bridging put in to spread the load. not dangerous but not ridgid enough to stop the ceiling cracking when people walk around up there

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

Presumably whoever was walking up there would have walked on all the joists.

Unless there is a structural weakness in that particular joist then it must be a bad plasterboard joint.

It's difficult to see the deflection in the ceiling from the photos

how would you see the joist deflecting unless the person was up there walking around. no amount of screws or tape will keep a slab from cracking if the joist is undersize or weak.

what exactly is a bad joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

So nothing of concern? Should the plasterboard joints be fixed? Or its just an aesthetic problem ? Sand a repaint?

• Advertisement

scratch out the joint and fill the crack and sand. add a few screws if its popped them a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,545 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think that's just a crack in the plaster tbh.

You say that insulation was put in recently, my bet is that someone in the attic stepped or put something heavy where they shouldn't have and put pressure on the slabs, causing them to split at the joins.

Advertisement