Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Slow speeds

Options
  • 28-01-2023 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Has anyone else recently had a noticeable drop off in speed. Been with my provider for 3 years now and usually get a minimum 30 Mbps sometimes over 100 Mbps. The past two weeks have struggled to get even 1 Mbps if I can get anything at all.

My provider is saying not their problem and they will cancel the contract. They are saying because I live in a 'fair' signal area there is nothing wrong at their end and it's my location that is the problem.

Am I being unreasonable expecting them to provide the service I have received up until now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What mobile network?

4g/5g?

At home or on the move, indoors/outdoors?

How far from the nearest transmitter?

What's the speed like close to a transmitter?

Local transmitter issue?

Probably impossible to diagnose over a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Gizit

My contract is with Vodafone and its for home mobile broadband. Let me just say I'm not very tech minded. I've looked at Comreg and mast locations and the nearest ones shown there seem to be about 5km away. I've downloaded Network Cell Info app and that shows me connecting to a mast about 3km away but can't find that mast on Comreg.

Went into three store yesterday and have signed up to them they offered a 5g package saying that even though not in a 5g area the router would get a stronger signal than a 4g router. Did I fall for salesman trying to upsell or is there logic in this?

With this new router getting an acceptable speed and have just done a speedtest and download speed was 80Mbps. Have a 14 day cooling off period so will monitor speeds over the next couple of days. This seems to be using the same mast location as Vodafone connection was using.

Been in contact with Vodafone over past two weeks and they have done all the usual reboot router etc one agent told me to take router and sim into shop and get them to check it. Looking on twitter seems to be a lot of people suffering similar issues. Just really disappointed that Vodafone won't accept there is an issue and until they accept there is an issue they can't resolve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Have a 14 day cooling off period

Not sure you have, as you ...

Went into three store yesterday and have signed up to them

8.3. Where it applies: You are entitled to use your cancellation right where your agreement with us is made (or where you offer to complete an agreement with us) at a location which is not a Three business premises or the business premises of a Three representative and where the payment to be made by you is above €50.

You are also entitled to use your cancellation right where your agreement with us is made by means of distance selling (e.g. online or over the telephone).

https://www.three.ie/web/uploads/pdfs/terms/consumer/The_General_Terms_Three_Service.pdf

Wow thanks for your really helpful comment. Not really replying to the main issue. If Three could not provide a service I would like to see them try to enforce the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Just thought give you insight ... you claim 80, that is good. Its above the Three's minimum - they wont let you go free, but if you manage - good for you.

Back to subject, few additional questions if you don't mind

What device you use on VF ? Does it provide cell ID and other metrics info ? can you confirm router and phone (app) cell ID(or at least site ID) match. Do you use external antenna?

In my own experience, if i would let my router to stick to B20 , or worse - to B28, bands my speeds would be seriously down. Me with three and i have to ensure its on B3(next B1)to have what i have. I guess this might be same effect to you - perhaps VF enabled other bands at your local mast(as course of upgrade) and your router fail for it . Your situation might be different, but with answers to Q's above we might find out.

As for 5G router (model ? is it ZTE MC801A ?) working on 4G only network, its just about right - it will work and if its "class" is higher than VF router you might expect better result.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. For the record the only reason I went to Three was because Vodafone my original provider the speeds had dropped significantly to average of 600Kbps. I was pretty sure Three were going to be a lot better but just in case they were as bad I would have terminated the contract. 80Mbps is more than adequate for my needs, probably about 2o would be the minimum I'd really need maybe even a bit less.

Like I said I'm not tech minded so don't really know the answer to most of your questions. I have not got an external antenna as service has been sufficient up till now. The mast site ID match.

I think I will just push Vodafone to terminate the contract like they offered last week and put my faith in Three from now on. I have my phone through them and the service has been reliable for the past 5 years.

The router is the ZTE and like I said I'm more than happy with it so will just stick with it. Roll on National Broadband roll out eh, us mobile broadband users won't know what to do with our download speeds!

Advertisement