Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

Exactly this with the boats they are using at the moment but this is a multi million euro industry now don't be surprised to see older fishing boats and bigger vessels with inflatables onboard for landing in the near future head our way. O'Gorman has invited the whole world to our shores and by christ they are going to come now in ever increasing numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I'd agree to a certain extent.

Long term the focus from us (the EU) needs to be on raising living standards in Africa to tackle the push factors. We should be looking at similar legislation to what's in place for anti-terrorism to tackle corruption. We should also be restricting sale of products and services involved in modern slavery, sweatshops etc throughout supply lines. We should also be pushing to restructure and strengthen the UN to tackle conflict.

I could see a role for providing genuine, safe places of asylum within Africa and elsewhere too, not simply offshoring but a feasible alternative.

Maybe in time the US might see sense, but that seems very optimistic at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭highpitcheric

unfortunately Scotland - NI is even narrower than the English channel.

On a good day I suppose a dinghy could make it. Not a seafarer though, so cant be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The primary duty of those we elect to the Dáil is towards the Irish citizens of this Republic of Ireland.

Let the people up north look after themselves as regards these matters. No way we should be sacrificing ourselves for northern nationalists.

But regardless, we don't need a hard border as such. We just need to deploy our Gardaí and Defence Forces as required to border crossings to monitor all bus and train transport at the minimum and stop those crossing without work permits.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭2Greyfoxes

"they have a general election coming up, by jan 2025. Labour look set to win, and theyve promised to scrap the rwanda thing."

Wouldn't count on that.

Brexit happened due to immigration/asylum seekers, plain and simple. The Rwanda deal is allowing the UK to close their doors. It will be a very popular piece of legislation with a large percentage of the voters.

So, this will gain the Torries a lot of votes, and even if not enough to win, Labour will see how popular it is, and do a U turn on it.

2016 happened, we saw just how wrong polls can be, and how the voting majority of the UK have had enough.

• Advertisement

The Irish Sea is one of the larger graveyards of shipping in the world and not easy to cross by smaller boats. But sure as long as migrants can jump on regular ferries via Rosslare or Larne, sure there's no great difficulty for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭thomas 123

right … not something we’d want to encourage and we certainly don’t have the navy to rescue people like the British and French have been for the last 10 years.

Yes, the Celtic sea of course. My bad.

Well better use of our Gardaí to be on the border and in the airport/ ferry terminals than charging / beating back local resident groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭brickster69

May as well check the sausages as well while they are at it.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This is what happens when ideologies like "gender quotas/gender balance" and "identity politics" are deemed more important than actual ability, competence or performance in a role.

Don't get me wrong - plenty of incompetent, wasteful and out-of-touch male politicians too, but they don't get the same protected status as the "fairer sex"

It's ridiculous really, but this is what we've imported (from the US) alongside all these others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭highpitcheric

What has changed is the UKs Rwanda plan has activated.

The result is this new bullsht for us.

What needs to be done, to make the bullsht go away?

We need to fook a spanner in the works of UKs Rwanda plan.

That can be done by messing with:

• Rwandas govt
    • The benefits of the Rwanda plan.

Rwanda has beneficial arrangements with the EU, an EU project of some €900m is ongoing there. That project, and more, can increase or stop depending on compliance.

The EU/France control the flow of migrants from Calais to UK. Again, that flow can rapidly increase or decrease. Yes theres a negative to us, in that a percentage will continue on to Irl, but the vast majority want to get to England, and its huge underground economy.

Also we should get the EU to lean on the ferry companies to request govt ID as a condition of travel, and provide Ireland with passenger manifests.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

This country has been ran on "vibes" for far too long now.

We have a cadre on here and in the media class who pour slurry from their ivory towers on our own "uneducated", "uncouth" "ignorant", "racist", working class folk, while concurrently wanting to import a load of the equivalent feckless chancers from abroad. The same media who turned on Kellie Harrington, a female boxer, from a humble background who represented us with distinction. A load of her "betters" rounded on her for wrong think, with none of them knowing what its like to have walked a mile in her shoes or have climbed the greasy pole of social mobility in Ireland.

Id rather my tax dollars were used to up-skill, educate and socially mobilise our own people that are so joyfully sneered at around these parts.

Imagine reading the paper after your child died of Sepsis due to a lack of Doctors on duty in a first world country, while your government is paying 7 figures towards maintaining a Ukranians Labrador and footing the bill for rooms at the Holiday Inn for a lad from Lagos.

Furthermore, your tax dollars are then also used to pay the riot squad to smack around your own people for having the temerity to say "no más".

The country needs to be run on a consensus based social contract, priority and decency to its own citizens and a pragmatism with the purse strings of the people.

People readily dismiss comments towards our politicians as low rent or "far right" such as Varadkar getting a verbal spray in the tweet above.

But it is treacherous behaviour to Ireland and its people. The were given no mandate for this.

Post edited by TRANQUILLO on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You're all welcome to run for elected office. Given the current lot are so bad and you lot are so awesome it'll be a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Absolutely true… our politicians are elected to serve and represent the needs and interests of their constituents and the Irish State as a whole.

We can absolutely have sympathy and empathy for the needs or plight of others, and we can absolutely do what we can to help - however that help should be proportionate to our ability/resources and never be at the cost of, or conflict with, the primary duties you mention.

Equally, as I've said before, our same politicians should take that duty and mandate to Europe and elsewhere and negotiate/lobby for Ireland's interests first and foremost. While compromise and deal-making is obviously key to achieving it, we should not sacrifice core positions for an "attaboy!" from our EU "friends" as is all too often the case now. As it stands, if a policy benefits Ireland, it's generally by coincidence not design. That's wrong and needs to change, rapidly!

Ireland is a country with a lot of fundamental domestic issues that successive Governments have failed to address, or actively made worse in the last decade. These issues are represented in every aspect of daily life - from the cost of your shopping, diesel fill, childcare, utility bills, housing (and the lack thereof!), healthcare (and the delays to get seen), crime, etc etc… they affect everyone to some degree.

I have enormous sympathy for people in other places who are (genuinely) affected by war, persecution, inequality and so on - HOWEVER I feel zero obligation to solve their problems, pay for them, or rehouse/support them in our country. We have our own problems to deal with, and adding to them by importing the problems/needs of others is just madness.

We've passed the point of return however. There's simply no way reverse or unwind it now. Now we're into damage control/limitation so as to reduce the long term impact on the citizens of this country and the next generations that will follow.

Putting Ireland and our needs first isn't a nationalistic, "far-right", or racist concept at this stage.. it's becoming a matter of self-preservation as our services and ability to provide ANY supports has been compromised by this nonsensical free-for-all that characterises our immigration "policy" at present.

By accident rather than design Brexit will turn into a retrospective masterstroke. Mark my words.

I'll take it that you won't bother to run for election so. Just spend countless hours on boards complaining about our current politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interesting thread from BBC Newsnight's economics editor. He suggests there is no evidence the UK Rwanda scheme has impacted on Ireland and points out that asylum claims have gone up right across Europe since 2022.

It raises some interesting points. Perhaps most asylum seekers were entering the Republic by the NI route in the same fashion a year ago or even 18 months ago, but it's just that people are talking about it now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭bloopy

Whoowee!

We got ourselves a master debater over here.

• Advertisement

We're a free country and you're welcome to try and sort out this situation that will possibly destroy our country given our current useless politicians. It's all plain to everyone so it should be a landslide in any election. What's stopping you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭tom23

Yup… can't see the EU give the square root of 6 **** about this when it comes to France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Ireland needs to find its own Rwanda like the UK, otherwise we are in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

"Never expect highly paid senior politicians to do a good job unless you're prepared to run for office yourself" is no argument at all

• Registered Users Posts: 53,928 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We already were in serious trouble. It's going to get worse now because we have had days of basically advertising Ireland as a destination to avoid the Rwanda plan across British media.

Our only hope is a Labour government in the UK. Until then we are goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭dmakc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

It's not even a useless argument, it's no kind of argument at all

Never criticise a doctor unless you're prepared to go to med school yourself

Never criticise a bus driver unless you're going to apply to drive the 46A yourself

It just makes no sense. The fact is that ministers are highly paid and are here to govern and protect the interests of Ireland so we should expect them to do a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder would moving IPAS to a border (or several) Border counties be useful? Accommodation in big barns all along the Border too. Dispersal to Dublin might be curtailed somewhat. Keep a satellite IPAS in Dublin near the airport.

Tent cities around the city centre of Dublin is ridiculous, although it may be deliberate for some reason.

I'm going off my head here so just throwing out something mad to keep me from sighing too much today. I know many views on my suggestions will be of the scoffing variety, but all suggestions welcome now anyway.

• Advertisement

Lots of people here seem quite sensitive to the idea they should stand for election. I don't understand why. The country is falling apart and our current set of politicians are useless and yet all any of you will do is write hundreds of pages worth of essays and expect someone else to fix the issues?

Our current politicians have nothing to fear so. Literally can ignore all of you.

Advertisement