Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭baldbear

100% they should not be working if they don't abide by the rules.

A Gerogian guy gave his story in the Irish times. He flew in from Spain . Destroyed his documents as advised by other mates and worked in the construction industry on €700 a week. The thing is he remained in his state paid accomodation in Athlone whilst doing this. He worked for 18 months I think he said and went back home.

This is an example of a economic migrant abusing our asylum system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's not clear what your issue is?

Did he not wait 6 months to work, and was paid cash?

It's clear there's something wrong there (you're not specific what), but overall I'd look at that and think it's great we got a construction worker in for 18 months, given the shortages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

McEntee should have held her head high and attended the conference. Not going at all is a sign of weakness. Has she made any statements this morning?

Bad move by Harris keeping her in the justice ministry. If I were a betting woman, she’ll be resigning by end of week

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭dmakc

This is what we're dealing with, ladies and gentlemen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭aidanodr

McEntee seems to be making a habit of not attending things - previous to this she declined to attend the GRA conference. A pattern is forming :D

• Advertisement

clearing 700 a week whilst having all his accommodation, food and utility expenses covered by the rest of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Also, there are no borders or crossing points in the EU itself because of Schengen. It would be absurd to have a hard border on the island of Ireland (and it would look especially bad if the Irish state was imposing it, not the British).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,536 ✭✭✭baldbear

Ah here. What's the point in laws at all so.

We need qualified people who abide by our visa rules to come here and work.

We have thousands of kids leaving here every year for work ,cost of living reasons and then we have people coming in abusing our rules at the tax payers expense. It's mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Maybe he could start by deleting his Cead Mile Failte tweet.

I'm not on Twitter but my understanding is it's still live.

I've long thought we should be prioritizing visas and permits for construction workers given the labour shortages and housing crisis.

I'd have no problem with the state providing basic accommodation, maybe unused office blocks, to incentivize construction workers come here during this national emergency. (remember the housing crisis)

I don't know what happened with this persons particulars around cash payments or right to work, as the op didn't share, but it looks to me like something the state should be doing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The open border was the right solution during the Brexit talks. However this migrant issue is resolved, putting a hard border and immigration checks between north and south would be a disastrously bad decision….it would leave the nationalist community in the north livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭TRANQUILLO

The boats need to be stopped in Melilla, Ceuta, Lampedusa etc.

Instead of calling the likes of Giorgia Meloni a racist, we should be helping our Mediterranean neighbours turn these boats around.

We owe them nothing.

We have children here missing chemo appointments and dying of sepsis. A children's hospital not yet finished.

Record homelessness.

Lets sort that stuff out before we entertain caring about every tom dick and harry from the back arse of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Agree .. I should clarify Im not proposing a hard border goes up tween Rep of Ireland and NI. Just that perhaps during negotiations they were wholly concentrated on TRADE and immigration had been forgotten about .. as in a way to handle such an eventuality IF it occurred such as now?

I don't think they're leaving here for work, it's more they can't find work with which they can afford to buy a house.

Here we see a great example where labour shortages could be tackled in the construction industry, leading to more and lower priced housing, and you're against it because the guy didn't come here on the right paperwork.

I'm all in favor of people coming here to help tackle the housing emergency, it's not correct this guy wasn't able to through the correct channels, but it seems he made a positive contribution nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

The UK left the EU and still have record numbers of immigration. More from the ROW and less European immigration. Whilst the Rwanda bill passed it’s still extremely unlikely any planes will actually take off because of the courts and the human rights conventions they’ve signed up to. Nigel Farage said as much last week. Plus even if they were to take off, it would only be the tiniest dent in the actual numbers of those claiming asylum.

It’s politically helpful for the government to say they’re coming from the UK and it’s music to the UK governments ear for them to say that. Win win for both of them. I do find it absolutely hilarious though the lack of self awareness of some British commentators/politicians who spend every day blaming France for illegal immigration now saying Ireland blames the UK for everything when it was stated they’re coming from the UK.

You also see a lot of them say it serves Ireland right for being “bitter” for not wanting a hard border on the island and I find it bizarre how some “Irish” people agree with that. It comes from a place them still looking at us as if they still owe Ireland and we should be subservient and know our place.

Even if we had a hard border it would make absolutely zero difference. They’d still fly/sail in to Belfast/Larne no issues. The border is almost 500km long. On what planet could that be policed with only 7.5k soldiers and not enough Gards as it is. During the troubles lots of back/secondary roads were closed/blown up in which some people who lived 200m from a place across the border could end up having to drive 20km to get there. Even if only one road was open on the entire border migrants could cross any field. It’s ludicrous to think it would make any difference. The only plausible way could stop illegal immigration from the UK is a untied Ireland but that’s opening up another can of worms for another thread.

It was incredibly dumb for the government to state that and they’ve made a balls of the entire thing. It’ll probably lead to an increase of people coming through that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭emo72

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭dmakc

So we pay for accommodation (i.e. use up existing accommodation) for illegals to come work for cash (i.e. not contribute to our tax pool) only to run off with their income (this example) or stay perpetually raking it in on our rental money.

There are no words.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

This is absolute politics/optics on our side as well. Harris and Sunak are both using it to cover their short comings.

The UK AS policy has not affected our numbers.

Harris playing games now claiming that's been our issue all along - OMG we can't close the border because of our norther brethren.

Plenty are falling for it unfortunately and RTE etc will eat it up. I expect plenty of headline grabbing anti Brit/immigration stories getting pumped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

Even a United Ireland is no guarantee as a few people speculate. The UK could still toughen up it stance even further and the boats launching from Calais could easily be encouraged to land in Ireland.

Not to mention how international law could play a role, NGO challenges etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭ToweringPerformance

It was Harris's first big test and he failed it massively.

She is an absolute disaster for the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭thomas 123

the Celtic Sea is a different kettle of fish to the Irish Sea, would probably be a graveyard.

Post edited by thomas 123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Well it would be a lot more difficult for people to get in from the UK than it currently is.

Not sure how the UK could encourage dingys on to Ireland. It’s a short trip of around 20 miles between France and England. Are they going to shepherd every boat on to Ireland hundreds and hundreds of miles away in rougher seas? I doubt those dingys would even make it to Ireland. It’s not a realistic prospect.

I don't know where you got that from!

I think we should incentivize and support people to come here legally, and pay tax, for essential services such as construction.

I actually also think we should try limit the number of people who come to work for non-essential work.

How else would this guy from Georgia have gotten here? Where would he have gotten a deposit for accommodation or dealt with language barriers for employment permits etc? Does our construction industry, which leans very heavily on small subcontracting firms, recruit in Georgia? Do these small firms have the resources to handle work permits, deal with language barriers and source accommodation for foreign recruits as the big tech firms do?

We need to be pro-active in attracting people to work in construction in Ireland. Leaving it to a dysfunctional construction 'private market' to do so hasn't worked.

Those boats wouldn't have a snowballs chance in hell of making it to Ireland.

Again the UK AS policy is not/has not/will not affect our numbers.

Our numbers are self inflicted by our successive governments.

Rwanda is a red herring. Its not going to affect our or indeed the UKs AS figures.

The French, Spanish, Italian, Greek and whoever else has a decent boat, should be lined up in the mediterranean with reconnaissance aircraft flying around keeping sketch.

If a lad in Morocco even goes for a swim he should browbeaten back onto the shore.

Enough is enough.

They have us all fighting among ourselves politically. None of the respective electorates want this.

No-one I talk to day to day wants this and I dont fraternise with Nazi's or "far right" types.

Cut out all the politik'ing and do what needs to be done. If there is a leak on the road you dont divert the water into your neighbours garden.

Stop the leak. The leak starts in Africa. End of story.

You mean the Celtic sea between Ireland and France?

It would be more difficult to cross than the channel but I believe it's quite possible in small craft in finer weather. I'm sure the trafficking networks now established in Calais would manage it if we did somehow close the northern border.

I wonder will he play the "have ye got any heart at all" or "lets get real here" rhetorical ace cards.

Yes yes we've heard this ingenuity before. Let's import the people to build the houses we need.

They can sleep in the shells while building them and keep moving from Finished to shell as the houses sell.

Be a like a well oiled conveyor belt.

• Advertisement
Advertisement