Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

With no cooking facilities that barely covers the cost of food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Given our geographical location and flights, there's literally not one legitimate AS rocking up here.

Every single one if them is economic by nature. Some may have started as genuine AS but once they chose to onward travel to Ireland they became economic.

This is undisputed fact but you'll still get the bleeding hearts talking pony tying themselves in knots claiming otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

International obligations….the Irish emigrated….the famine….you know yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

And yet all those that had bad things to say about the residents of Newtownmountkennedy last week won’t say a word about these ones.
    Camberwell college of art is just up from where the videos are taken and it always had a “fight the power” element to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭willyvanilla

Legislation should be a changed according to necessity.

Do we have a housing crisis? Yes. Emphasis on "crisis", its not the "housing spot of bother".

Do we have an economic crisis? No. The fact its completely out of sync with what an economy should be, I'll skip over it.

So you slide one scale up to the extent one scale slides down to acceptable levels, ie perhaps less of an insipid "booming economy" is the correct thing to have less of a housing crisis.

This is nowhere as difficult as people make it out to be. The problem, in my opinion, is that too many people have gotten too used to the cheapening impact on labour and inflating impact on housing prices to "let it go".

That's all you need to know about legislation, does it work or not. If not, which it clearly doesn't, change it.

As I said earlier, despite the current fiasco, a similarly principalled infrastructure-dictated migration policy should be implemented.

If X infrastructure is built in 2025, then 80 or 90% of it should go toward extinguishing the housing crisis, and the remaining 10% means X number of migrants be allowed enter the country in 2026.

You can't say fairer than that. Indeed, if things were as honest as purported to be, then this should have been the approach from the get go. And then there'd be no crisis, no arguments over migrants, no debates over housing shortage, no repurposed hotels, no tent ghettos, none of it.

The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is today. So enough of the nonsense and let's get this situation fixed. Change the legislation, simply *make* it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It's a very very small thing but even that email domain says something… equality.gov.ie

WTF has "equality" to do with this save for yet another example of moral grandstanding? It's also inaccurate given all the supports and exceptions that have been made on this issue.

Also, contact via email - I assume then that they'll be using some of our donations for SIM plans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭aidanodr

deleted

All it does is encourage more people to arrive. You give more, it becomes advertised back around the world, more people arrive.

It's harsh. But it's also reality.

You can bet that people smugglers would show the likes of those numbers to migrants, they'll be blown away by the amount of money and encouraged to chance it.

If I wanted to stop pigeons coming to my garden, I wouldn't reduce the breadcrumbs I put out everyday, I'd just stop altogether.

So yes it sounds harsh. But what can you do? Self destructive virtue is no virtue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,264 ✭✭✭suvigirl

actually, most immigration officials glance at an Irish or UK passports. Even if we did scan UK passports, since Brexit they are no longer part of the SIS system. So they would not be aware if warrants exist for them.

neither Irish nor UK citizens need to have accommodation, jobs or resources when they come into the country, as both are entitled to all welfare supports automatically.

yes, asylum seekers do have needs, 13,000 last year, not so many compared to other demographics entering the country also accessing services

"That's all you need to know about legislation, does it work or not. If not, which it clearly doesn't, change it."

Are you sure? Would it not be dependent on the likelihood of what your changing it to working or being some way better?

What your arguing is the equivalent to saying, 'we have a housing crisis, let's ban houses and everyone go live in the fields', or 'lets have a free for all on killing people to take their houses'

It's batsh*t crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

You are either deliberately ignoring the context of the conversation here or you haven't actually read the conversation.

There is no "obsession" with white Europeans in my post — the comment I was responding to made reference to migration making certain cities unrecognisable. I pointed out that the historical trend (right up to recent modern history) demonstrates destructive events and tumultuous violent episodes perpetrated at times where Europe was more mono-ethnically white in its makeup.

So when we talk about migration / multiculturalism making Europe unrecognisable (something that is generally inferred as being unrecognisable in a negative way), it's perfectly fair and reasonable to examine the state of Europe when it was more monocultural.

Read the rest of what I wrote. Adjustable sliding scales of acceptable.

And ultimately it still comes down to necessity and simply needing to change legislation.

What are you going to say," it's more complicated than that"? Yeah, and? It still needs to happen.

but yet you didnt answer my post when I pointed out the rates of immigration into the country last year? which of those people do you refuse to allow in and how do you do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭brickster69

'sliding scales of acceptable' don't come into it considering you're arguing we're past the point of talking about risk, consequence, likelihood of success etc.

What you're essentially demanding is that whatever 'solution' the anti-immigration mob comes up with at this point, the rest of the country needs to follow without question.

Like I said, it's batsh*t crazy.

What's to answer?

The government are paid to govern.

We are in crises due to it.

Similarly, if I drop a car into a mechanic and they're being paid to do their job, I'm not about to get into a years long argument about what they have to do and how they argue the quangle has to be replaced with a bobnit and therefore what I need fixed doesn't get fixed forever.

Just do your damn job and if you can't get, get out of the way and someone oelse will, because I'm not about to just give up my car based on your incompetence, ever.

In other words, if all you're good for is pointing out how existing legislation doesn't work and can't be changed, then you're useless at fixing problems. Worse than useless, you become an impediment to necessary change.

Just to be clear this €113.80 a week is for Asylum Seekers WITHOUT ACCOMODATION etc . Its €38.80 a week with accomodation

"If IPAS is unable to provide you with accommodation, you will get a temporary increase of €75 in your Daily Expense Allowance (DEA). This means your DEA will increase from €38.80 a week to €113.80 a week."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/services-for-asylum-seekers-in-ireland/direct-provision/

well you came up with the ideas, thats what i was asking about. if you dont have answers thats ok too

You're talking out of your hole man, you are inventing some mad narrative all on your own and then calling it mad. What are you even talking about when you say "murdering people to take their homes"?

What is it you don't get about infrastructure-dictated migration?

Are you a landlord? Are you closely related to one? Are you or someone close to you receiving money to house migrants? Are you or anyone adjacent to you involved in an industry dependent on cheap imported labour? if any of that were true, then yes, I could certainly understand you thinking that fixing this situation is "mad".

Otherwise, whatever the hell you're waffling about with murdering people to take their houses and such, that's the craziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dmakc

Are the Danes batsh*t crazy? Is the UK looking to deport these chancers batsh*t crazy?

The anti-immigration* "mob" represent >80% of the country, and this will only grow with time.

100 IPAs refused accommodation today, so we'll be paying them €114/week as an apology whilst our government tenders to the country to buy up private property to house these chancers - and this is only an alternative to making billionaires out of hoteliers.

Maybe our current policies are "batsh*t crazy"? Maybe you are?

(*in reality this is anti-IPA)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭GetupyeaBowsie

"There is no obsession with white Europeans in my post", mentions white over 7 times in the original post then 3 lines down "demonstrates destructive events and tumultuous violent episodes perpetrated at times where Europe was more mono- ethnically white in its makeup. "

Read some history, China Africa Americas, the world since mankind etc… extremely violent, bloody history including Europe!

I'll leave it at that. Won't be derailed or sucked into someone's point of view regarding race and war.

According to NEWSTALK there are a good few newbie asylum seekers Qing up at mount street again. Handed that letter above telling them no room at the inn and you cannot stay here. The mess continues. The Garda talking to newstalk guy on ground felt the buck was being passed to them

I'm not an entire government, and neither do I have the responsibility of being a government, and neither am I paid for being such.

Just like I am not a mechanic and am not about to pretend to be a mechanic.

What I am, however, is a customer, an employer. I tell the worker what I want, and what I need, and then they proceed to do the job they are already paid to do.

There's little point to anyone being a smart arse expecting to get policy document length explanations of detail while the person asking for it can't and won't do it either.

The problem is simple in essence. The government should go and make it happen, or get out of the way until someone does make it happen.

Infrastructure-dictated migration is a supremely fair and balanced way forward for everyone, and anyone who wants to muddy the water with cant-do-thats deserves major side eye.

Anyone in government or adjacent position who gets in the way of such extremely fair legislation proposal should have 20 magnifying glasses put over their finances and everyone connected to them.

That line of reasoning is batsh*t crazy. The jury's still out on the Danes and the UK.

Given the unproven and expensive nature of both approaches, it would though be daft though to blindly 'copy and paste' either approach without consideration for the consequences and the specifics of our circumstances.

Where are you getting that the anti-immigration mob represent anywhere near 80% of the country? Polling for any of these kind of candidates or parties would be in the very low single figures I would think.

Worth repeating for clarity:

Just to be clear this €113.80 a week is for Asylum Seekers WITHOUT ACCOMODATION etc . Its €38.80 a week with accomodation

"If IPAS is unable to provide you with accommodation, you will get a temporary increase of €75 in your Daily Expense Allowance (DEA). This means your DEA will increase from €38.80 a week to €113.80 a week."

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/services-for-asylum-seekers-in-ireland/direct-provision/

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Will0483

Using wartime as your baseline state is completely unhinged. Your argument is that Berlin was reduced to rubble in 1945 so 80 years later we should destroy ourselves again by different means. You can rebuild any building but once you irrevocably change the ethnic and religious make-up of a country, you can't put that genie back in the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Will0483

The current disaster is because of the deluded ideas of the pro-immigration mob. I'll take my chances with the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Is this the UK influx rearing it's head. The Govt were probably advised they are en route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement