Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Because they are from that unless they can prove they are really fleeing for their lives which nearly always falls apart when/if you look into there stories, it's like the people who have applied for asylum here and are granted to stay here, once they have their irish passport off they go back to the country they have fled for a holiday to see family. It's pretty simple for a guy like me who doesn't have a university degree to see the majority arriving here are here for the gravy train.

We're a very generous caring open minded nation, very happy to help people who need genuine asylum, but jaysus what's going on now is an utter p#ss take, unless you have skin in the game Stazdas your head is really stuck in the sand, how can you defend the carry on, every service is bursting at the seems and importing more people that are here to suck of the tit of generous welfare system just seems crazy to me, in a place like mahon( working class area) in cork 700 modular homes are been handed out to ukrainians in the coming weeks/months, while three generations of irish families are living in a house, on a housing list for years. Just madness madness

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

Care to name these places ? I have never heard so much tripe from a politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

So, the government in their wisdom are encouraging low earners (typically migrants earn 21% less the indigenous Irish) who will require support in the form of HAP, medical/social welfare etc during their working life to enter the workforce whilst ignoring the emigration of educated, skilled Irish citizens who are typically higher earners and thus larger contributors to the coffers and requiring less government support. Is this the economic model they are pursuing?

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Oh Quelle Surprise! So basically the government are enacting what a lot of posters on here have been saying for months...that we need to stop the Fakeugees and Chancers from these 'Safe Countries'.

They are only doing this now as they know that a lot of Irish Citizens are very angry about the flood gates for refugees being swung wide open with no end in sight and no limits in place.

I really hope they will be back dating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Also...you know that you're up **** Creek when the leader of your country says and I quote 'I don't want any person of colour to be held back in this country'. Emmm sorry for being born pasty white! Do I not count too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭suvigirl

Why would you want them to change the safe country list?

Do you want those countries to be deemed unsafe?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its totally ridiculous that a decision is made that a person has no right to be here but they are let stay anyway because their own country won't take them back.

This clown is supposed to be running the country but seems to be just shrugging his shoulders and saying they have no right to be here but its just too hard to do something about it.

A few concerned locals came out to peacefully protest in Ballybrit yesterday as the buses with the unvetted men arrived.

There were at least 2 busloads of them.

Concerned locals? From the business park? How many other people are living in unused offices there? 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

So the Irish taxpayer should be willing to provide housing, medical, education, and financial support to any refugee/asylum seeker (and their families) for the rest of their natural lives while expecting them to contribute nothing.

There it is in a nutshell. The mantra of the loony left.

We already have 30,000 travellers and 16,000 Roma gypsies who for the most part get this deal.

Is it any wonder we have protests which I support wholeheartedly until this madness is stopped.

• Advertisement

But that is clearly a housing problem. We know we have a housing crisis in this country which the government are doing nothing about.

Asylum seekers are not the cause of this issue and for the most part are being houses in unused buildings, office buildings, old barracks & schools, hotels etc

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

It's more than a housing problem.

It's about access to all resources in the state incl. health, education, housing etc.

Asylum seekers and refugees are adding to the problem because we don't have enough of these resources for our citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I’m actually heartened this happened in Galway city , it’s a very left wing city so that opposition occurred in Galway city, shows how widespread opposition is

• Registered Users Posts: 41,024 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not really. There's a few Galway based crazies like the chariot guy and the guy who screams at drag Queens.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

But how can these asylum numbers be 'managed'? Deport genuine refugees straight back out of the country after they have arrived in Ireland? Passing some law that that states that 'Ireland is full and cannot take any more people' would be next to meaningless, as well as being totally unworkable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

There's no control needed. Let it happen. We need another 50 million people here. The job sector is deprived of cheap cheap labour. As an employer myself I think we need really cheap labour. My yard needs a power wash. My local cousins aren't offering real value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Zico

If rural Ireland is being hollowed out as educated people move towards better jobs it's hard to keep public services in areas with falling populations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭minimary

Weren't we told repeatedly that this wouldn't happen and that there was no competition between groups needing to be housed? Yer man is claiming this will assimilate people more into the community, I think it will competely alienate them if they're seen as jumping the list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭airy fairy

The fact that these modular homes, and plans for many more, are going straight to refugees, is blatantly skipping housing lists. I'd bet there are many Irish people on waiting list with many years would love one.

I really don't understand how housing a refugee in a modular home (which have specs like regular housing) can trump those on housing lists that are waiting a long time.

Quick question. Whats the situation with refugees staying in hotels now? Are they now paying for meals, allowed work if Ukrainian and still remain in said hotels?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭rgossip30

Until they get status and then can apply for housing .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I think the issue remains that it is extremely difficult to 'control' flows of asylum seekers. Let's say you set a legal cap of 10k asylum seekers for a given year. But what do you do when asylum seeker #10,001 (who may well be a genuine refugee fleeing oppression) arrives at Dublin Airport or Rosslare?

The UK have run into huge problems with their 'Stop the Boats' malarkey. They appear to be under the impression that the best way to deal with the refugee problem is not to deal with it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

No travel docs even though you had them two hours ago = instant refusal, onto plane within 24hrs/1 week, forced deportation - by that I mean accompanied to the aircraft seat.

Have travel docs, but from safe country = process claim, refuse claim, deport within a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

It should be that simple but our govmt is one step ahead of you. All anyone without a passport showing up at the border needs to utter is "feeling bullied", "gender confusion" or "trauma onset due to heavy rainfall" and they're instantly wrapped in the loving embrace of our govmt. The govmt are funding an army of low-brow NGOs to re-purpose international "research" to justify this policy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,518 ✭✭✭✭Varik

There's a new EU entry system (entry/exit) that'll keep document info and biometrics on system but Ireland isn't taking part. Destroying documents wouldn't help if we were as they'd already have everything on the system including biometrics.

It's not even because we're outside schengen as there's countries not in it that are taking part where secondary visa's could be required to move into other entry/exit countries even if you had visa free entry to the one country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Yeah but what do you do with them then? Shoot them? Imprison them indefinitely? Constantly stick them on planes until one day some country just decides to not send them straight back?

Dealing with a person who effectively becomes stateless is difficult. In some circumstances it may just be easier, or practically unavoidable, to let them stay than incur the costs of just incarcerating them forever or constantly playing back and forward with the third country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭enricoh

No , just give them an amnesty to stay here like mcenteee did last year. Allow them repatriate their extended family , give them full access to social welfare and social housing and see how it goes numbers wise when word spreads. I thought all countries do this- no?!!

• Advertisement

Problems like this are what we elect a Government and a Taoiseach for and why we pay them between 100 and 200 k a year, its up to them to solve this not just say ah sure its too hard let them stay.

This will only encourage more chancers to arrive and start acting the bollix by destroying their documents either on the plane or at the airport terminal.

Ireland stands out as a soft mark country where its just way too easy to play the system.

Advertisement