Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for a modem for 1 Gbps fibre broadband connection which supports OPEN VPN client and VOIP

• 26-01-2023 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭

I am looking for a modem for 1 Gbps fibre broadband connection, which supports OPEN VPN client setup and VOIP. The current provider provided one that doesnt support Open VPN. I heard that the current Eir Gigabit fibre modem supports this setup. Can someone provide the make and model of eir modem so that I can buy it?

Required Specs:

Line Type: VDSL (Very high bit rate Digital Subscriber Line)

Connection mode: PPPoE

Open VPN compatible

VOIP compatible

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭dam099

1 Gbps is not consistent with VDSL, which do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭TestLink

I have 1 Gbps fibre broadband. From the Fibre box an ethernet cable comes in to the router's LAN port.

My current setup is as below:

Fibre box -> ISP router 

ISP Router -> My Personal router with Open VPN

All devices connect to my own personal router for getting dhcp ip address

But the speed I get now is substantially low! Only around 90 Mbps. While I connect directly to the ISP router I get 900 Mbps. So massive decrease in speed. 

So if I have a router that supports both Open VPN client + VOIP for my land telephone, I could get rid of my own router and also the ISP router. Hope this makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Your line type is not VDSL, you say you have a fiber connection to the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I think you'll get stuck with VOIP requirement. Eir don't, as far as I am aware, provide the SIP details to sign into VOIP.

• Advertisement

VPN's come with overhead and you are also restricted to the VPN providers available bandwidth, so 90Mbps may be all that's achievable anyway.

Who is your ISP? Many of them don't give out the VOIP credentials so that may be an issue.

Depending on your ISP another option might be to put a switch between the ONT (Fibre Box) and have the ISP router AND your Personal Router both connect to the Fibre box (many will allow both to connect and get a public IP). You would use the ISP router only for phone and the Personal one for everything else.

In addition 90Mbps can sometimes mean your Ethernet is either only a 100Mpbs port or the cable is bad on a 1Gbps port and falling back to 100Mpbs. Have you tested the personal router with VPN disabled and/or direct to the ONT to see what speeds you get?

I cant give a recommendation as my own router (Synology RT2600) does not support VOIP and while it does support VPN Clients I have not used that functionality. I have used it as an OpenVPN server with no real issues so would expect it would handle the client side OK as well.

I dont want to sign in to voip account. I just need a RJ11 port on the router to connect the VOIP land phone.

So, If there is a single router that has both OPEN VPN client support + a RJ11 port for the phone, that would satisfy my requirements. This would mean that there is no need for 2 routers, one for VOIP and another for OPEN VPN client.

Puretelecom is my ISP. I was told by eir support that the router they supply for Gigabit fibre connection has OPEN VPN client support + a RJ11 port. But I dont want to switch to Eir as their monthly price is 55 euro while for PureTelecom I pay 40 euro for the same 1 Gbps connection.

So any router that has both OPEN VPN client support + a RJ11 port?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Is your phone line provided by your ISP? Or is it from a regular VOIP provider?

What others are saying is that you most likely will NOT be able to use another router other than the one provided by your ISP for yoir phone line. For instance Eir will not procide any credentials for their VOIP service for you to use in another router

Ys, The phone connection is provided by my ISP. It works on VOIP.

When I contacted BB support of my ISP, I was told that, I could buy a router on my own with the OPEN VPN client + RJ11 port for connecting my phone.

That is why I am looking for details of the make and model of Eir router, so that I could buy it on Amazon Uk or some other place.

I believe Pure might be more helpful than the big players so its possible they will allow you to use their VOIP on a 3rd party router. It wont just work though they have to give you a SIP account login name and password and some server names so you can configure on the router.

Googling suggests the F3000 is a Sagemcom F5366s but I don't see it available to purchase.

They do sell it standalone on the Eir shop online, you could try there. (Are you sure it does VPN though, the manual doesn't mention).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Would WireGuard be an alternative for you or does it have to be OpenVPN? The latest Fritz firmware supports it for some models.

https://en.avm.de/service/knowledge-base/dok/FRITZ-Box-7590/3685_Setting-up-a-WireGuard-VPN-to-the-FRITZ-Box-on-the-computer/

Many Thanks. Let me give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭KildareP

The CPU on the Fritzbox (or any typical consumer grade router) will be nowhere near powerful enough to sustain 1Gbps throughput using a VPN.

It's encrypting all of your traffic on the fly and that needs a fairly generous amount of computing power.

To buy a box that can do that sort of speed on OpenVPN (as opposed to IPsec), you're easily into four figures of a spend - a Netgate 6100 for example would just about manage which is €839 before VAT. Bridge your ISP modem, connect the Netgate to that and it becomes your router and VPN gateway.

The other side, as someone mentioned above, is that even if you've the best broadband line, the best router/VPN gateway, you're reliant on whatever is providing the other end of the VPN connection to have the same.

You are not going to achieve consistent 1Gbps throughput on a €15.99/month NordVPN subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DaveHD

The RJ11 phone connection is locked for use only by eir on their fibre router. They activate the port remotely for their phone service only. I contacted them about this for my phone service which is from eir over copper but even though they are also my ISP for 1Gb broadband they will not transition the phone line to the VOIP service as "you bb line is supplied by NBI and they are not moving these across at present". The person from eir said this will be a "long time in the future as they have to negoitate this with NBI!" His words not mine. I actually rang back again as I did not really belive this but got the same story a couple of weeks later.

To use a third party VOIP service you have to use an adaptor box such as a PAP2 or Fritzbox router which allows you to enter your SIP details from your VOIP supplier.

If you use the Fritzbox you would bridge or DMZ the eir router

Even when they activate the eir router for VOIP it will still only carry their service. The router is basically the same as the one used by EE and BT in the UK and the firmware is locked down to only allow their VOIP service on it.

I have in fact DMZed my eir router to install an Asus router as the primary router which if and when eir transition my eir phone line allows me to then plug my Dect base station directly into their router to get the eir VOIP phone service.

The use of the more powerful personal router of choice in this instance allows Asus mesh, VPN on router, OVPN/Wireguard Server and OVPN/Wireguard clients. etc. I also have PAP2 VOIP box for an external VOIP phone service attached to the network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

There would be absolutely nothing stopping eir miggrating NBI users over to their VOIP service other than I guess they haven't got it set up internally yet to do it

I moved to Vodafone 1 month back. The supplied router (Gigabox modem) doesnt have an OpenVPN client setup possible. It has IPsec, L2TP, PPTP vpn options. When I contacted my VPN service provider, I was told that they no longer support the above ones because of security concerns. So I am connecting the Vodafone modem to my own personal router as a DHCP server. On my personal router I have OpenVPN client vpn setup option. I am connecting my land phone on to the Vodafone router as my personal router doesnt have a RJ11 port to connect the telephone cable.

I dont mind buying a router on my own with OpenVPN client setup and RJ11 connectivity.

HG658c / HG659 are the other modems available with Vodafone. Is anyone using one of these modems? Does it support OpenVPN client and Landline connection?

Any solution for this?

Post edited by TestLink on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Nothing to stop you port forwarding 1194 UDP or whatever openvpn is to another box in your network and running a server there. Even a Pi zero would do it

Thanks.

Is there any make & model that would support both OpenVPN client setup + an RJ11 port for connecting land telephone? I think it would be better than using 2 routers. None of the Vodafone routers support this!

No one router is going to do what you want, the RJ11 port is useless without the SIP details from Vodafone which they won’t give out.

You say the Gigabox does some less secure VPN protocols, can you change to a VPN provider that supports one of those assuming you can live with the additional risk that poses?

Another option is to put a switch off the fibre box (ONT) and attach your own router and the ISP one to it, some of us here have had success with this approach with both routers getting a connection. Switch off WiFi on the ISP router and use it just for phone and use your own router for internet / VPN.

• Advertisement

I would try the second option. Is there any specific Gigabit switch (unmanaged) to go for? Any recomendations?

Doesn’t need to managed as long as your own router supports vlan tagging so any cheap netgear or tp-link 5 port should do

Thanks...

I tried a TP-Link 2.5G switch by connecting the ethernet cable coming from the Fibre box. Then I connected the TP-Link switch to both the Vodafone router and my personal router via ethernet cables. But this setup didnt work. The vodafone router blinks the intenet connection LED. My personal router doesnt even keep switched ON.

When I connect it back to the original setup :

1. Fibre box to Vodafone router's WAN port via eternet cable
    2. Vodafone router to my personal router's WAN port via ethernet cable

So I am pretty much stuck with this old setup. Any suggestions guys?

Do any one know Vodafone Fibre BB (1Gbps) PPPoE settings?

My previous ISP was PureTelecom and their PPPoE details is as shown below. When I contacted Vodafone support I was told that they doesnt have this information. Any help?

Encapsulation: PPPoE

username: puretelecom@puretel.ie

password: broadband1

VDSL(FTTC/FTTH)VLAN ID: 10

It is working fine now. The issue was with not supplying the VLAN id. Many Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement