Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB no longer require travel notes for card - reliable?

Options
  • 26-01-2023 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm traveling to Hong Kong for a month in a few weeks. When I tried to add a travel note for my card on the AIB banking app it saids travel note is no longer needed. Instead its using text message where you respond with either a 1 or 9 if they noticed certain activities. I haven't left the country since COVID started so I wasn't aware of this change if it has been like this for awhile.

Anyone has any experience with this system? My worry is that I'm going to be on roaming and worry about reception being bad. Like what do they consider a "red flag" etc like as soon as I use my card?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭PenguinForce

Thanks! The last time I left the country was early 2019 which was for HK. I was hoping they do in app notification as well. More chance of me connected to the internet.

I don't plan to use my card often since HK is still fairly cash heavy but I did book a hotel with it so just worry if I need to use it. Not too sure if they will charge my card automatically.

I tried to set up Revolut a few years ago but had problems with verification. I might try again. Do you know generally how long it takes for them to send out a card etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Card is with you in about 7-10 days. But you can use a digital card in minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Definitely set up a revolut account. Straight up interbank exchange rate (instead of creamed by AIB) and useable everywhere. I saved hundreds of euro on exchange rates over the last 3 years travelling.

btw, they’re supplying Irish IBAN numbers now for their own banking. I’m on the verge of completely dumping AIB and saving hundreds on their quarterly rip off service charge too.

Advertisement