Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cam Carrier oil leak - Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

• 26-01-2023 3:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

Hi

My wife owns a 2016 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 diesel. Its the 120bhp blue HDI engine. It was in for a service and the dealer picked up that there is an oil leak from the Cam Carrier. They have quoted over 900 euro for the repair which includes 2 days labour (16 hours) as the head and injectors have to be removed and there is a lot of stripping involved. Before anyone asks the dealer is 5 minutes from my wifes workplace so its handy for us.

I have spoken to a local independent garage who services my car and he reckons the job should only take a day (8 hrs).

Has anyone come across this type of leak before and would 8 hours or 16 hours be a more realistic repair time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

16 hours main dealer labour plus parts and vat for 900!

Is that even possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

They didnt give me breakdown of the parts/labour involved, its 1 line on the service report and the cost. It wasnt until I asked about scheduling a day for the repair that they said the car would be required for 2 full days as there was that much work in the repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd say they want to have the car for two days to suit themselves but in reality the work will take much less time. If the repair takes eight hours (as your independent suggests) then even at a low rate of €70 per hour the labour content would be €560 +VAT plus whatever parts and oil are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭User1998

Go to an independent mechanic for anything other than routine oil changes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭shane b

Bit of an update on this for anyone else. We have traded the car in for a newer people carrier

We made 2 attempts to get the oil leak resolved with an independent garage but leak remained.

Garage replaced the rocker cover first with no improvement and then the rocker cover itself. Replacing the rocker cover did make a difference as there was oil visible on the top of the engine. However a leak remained at the rear of the engine and the garage said that the next step would be to take to engine out altogether as access under the bonnet is very tight. We had spent over 600 euro on the 2 attempts as the cam cover was 250 euro on its own. My wife decided she wasnt spending on any more money or time on it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement