Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Bank to UK Bank

Options
  • 24-01-2023 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi All,

I’m just looking for advice about transferring money from a BOI account to a UK bank.

How much should I expect to get charged with exchange rates and is there a better way to make the transfer.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Is it circa £50, £5,000, £50,000, or £500,000

Different answers depending on the amount

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Depending on the amount (Money Laundering Laws etc) you could set up a Revolut account - that gives you (currently) a virtual UK bank account, transfer the UK sterling into that (I am assuming no charges from your UK bank) then convert to Euro when Revolut have a rate you are happy with and from there transfer to your irish account.

There will be some Revolut costs and the exchange rate will always favour the bank but, I think it will be the most cost effective way. There is a Revolut thread of Boards where users would know better - perhaps post there as well?

I have personally transferred relatively normal sums this way from UK friends and family and they were not charged, I received the full value of the transfer so it used to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you don't want the Revolut route have a look at Atlantic Money atlantic.money.

They charge a flat 3 Euro fee (and your first transfer is free) and give you a live exchange rate; money is in the UK next day or for .1% fee it's there via faster payment.

You will need to pay to a virtual bank account with them via SEPA and than once they get it they transfer it with the agreed exchange rate to the UK account.

The advantage over BOI is the better exchange rate and less fees, the disadvantage is you have to send it to them first and register via the app first. All they want is your e-mail/mobile/date of birth/address. However if you send larger amounts you will need to be verified via your passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

If its a large amount - £75,000+ or even a bit below this, you can ask for a dealer rate from your own bank and it will be not far off what Wise or transfermate charges. They will simply issue you with a code to put into the app.

I do regular transfers and have a 0.3% off mid market built into the online banking platform. That is particularly good, but 0.5% should be attainable. So if market is at €1.135 / £1, the rate would be €1.142 / £1

Advertisement