Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A cat issue

• 24-01-2023 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I’m hoping to get some advice or help.

My elderly neighbour passed away and I am looking after her estate. She died Feb 2021. She left 6 cats and although they are not part of her estate she was very close to them and left a note to say a certain person would look after them when she passed. This person did what they could and found homes for three.

The problem is the next three. I have tried every Cat charity but to no avail. The situation is now drastic as they have started to hang around my place and my Mothers next door and they are going to trip her up I fear. I’m at a loss what to do and fear I may have to put them down, which I have avoided thus far.

Is this wrong? They are essentially abandoned cats at this stage, although I feed them twice a day.

Any advice or guidance would be great.

kind regards,

Peter

Tagged:

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭victor8600

"This person did what they could and found homes for three." "I may have to put them down"

These are not your cats to decide what to do with them. Contact the person responsible for them. If the cats are not being cared properly, contact :

ISPCA National Animal Cruelty Helpline

If you believe an animal is being cruelly treated or neglected, please call 0818 515 515 (Callers from outside the Republic of Ireland should use +353 43 33 25035).

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Steed

Thanks Victor8600, but your reply would suggest you did not read my query. And I don’t see the need for the quotes, I know what I wrote and wrote it with a heavy heart as I’m trying to do what is best for the animals. It’s not easy.

However I will try your suggestion.

kind regards,

Peter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What is the issue that has prevented rehoming of the other three, or charities being involved? It would be helpful to understand that.

Without that, I'd be posting on social media to try and rehome. Do you have a Facebook page for your town/village/parish/etc? If you have one available, post there explaining the situation and that these 3 cats need new homes and ask people to contact you if interested. That might help a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

Hi! I'm agree with Faith, you can try to posting on social media, there are always people who are looking to adopt a cat trough social media

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have space and caring and skilled experience . Am seeking cats to care for. Message me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Steed

Hi Faith,

I have tried a large number of charities and tried them again and I have come up against various excuses, albeit they may be valid. It becomes exhausting after a while as there is all the other things to take care of outside of the cats.

One charity the lady herself donated to for 20 years or more weren’t helpful at all. So the charities route has proved fruitless.

However I may turn to social media as suggested.

Thank you for your help and to all who responded.

kind regards,

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There were offers here...I now have a couple more very needy cats arriving soon I gather...

Advertisement