Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash switching off on mk4 Mondeo

Options
  • 24-01-2023 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭

Have the nct coming up and an issue started after the recent cold spell in that the dash goes on and off as the car is running, speedo goes to zero and when it comes on you have all the lights, engine, oil etc as if you just started the car, they go off and everything is normal until the process repeats again. I notice a tiny bit of condensation behind the perspex where the speedo is. Local mechanic can't find an obvious cause, looking at replacing the dash which won't be done before nct date. Is there even any point putting it through the nct? I'm assuming it's a dangerous fail?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭kirving

Check that power to the dash is not being interrupted by a loose fuse would be my first port of call.

A new dash won't fix the source of condensation, so make sure to get that sorted before fitting a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭User1998

Do the NCT anyway, you’ll fail on ABS light and Airbag light, both of which are just visual fails. If diesel, engine light is a fail too. Might as well do the NCT anyway as you’ll have 28 days to sort it and any other problems with the car

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Echo above about checking fuses. One other easy thing to check would be to ensure the connections to the battery are solid (not loose, no corrosion on the terminals)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Google Ford dash dry solder joints. There is a well known issue with mondeos, focus etc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rl1pLG0sETM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

I see. The radio had been coming on and off a bit prior to this, which is exactly what this guy says. Sounds like this is the exact issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

The mechanic says he spend hours trying to find a cause to no avail, and doesn't really fancy taking this on.I suppose that further points to dry solder issues as he's investigated the obvious stuff. He also said that there might be issues with the immobiliser and mileage if the dash is replaced. He said the dash is coming on and off when the car is switched off too and running the battery down.

Would it be worth taking out and bringing to an electrician to investigate the solder joints? 09 Mondeo with low mileage, would be keen on getting another couple of years out of it if it was a reasonably priced fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

For starters your mechanic seems to have spent hours chasing his tail rather than cop on to what is a well known issue. Could he not just remove dash cluster and send it out to get repaired ? A quick google search shows a few companies in Ireland who might be able to help. When fixed get a new mechanic . It’s well worth fixing with current car prices. Removing dash cluster is easy.

Advertisement