Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - Dundalk commute options

Options
  • 24-01-2023 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Anyone commute between Lucan,Dublin and Dundalk ? it appears to be 90 KM one way with 1 hour of drive.

Any comments regarding the best mode of travel for daily work commute. Will be commuting 3/4 days a week.

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I wouldn't recommend it. If anything goes wrong on the M1 (and it will) you're snookered. I'm in Drogheda and even that seems like too far sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

It really depends on what time you need to travel at and where in Lucan you have to go. Personally I'd take the train from Dundalk to Connolly and then to Adamstown, taking a folding bike to get to the final destination, but times and distance wouldn't suit everyone. I'd chew my own arm off before doing it by car at peak times either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭hello2020

Thanks for your suggestions... only thing which may help is commute will be in the opposite direction of traffic starting from Lucan in morning

Current work commute is just ove 10 km towards Dublin which takes 30 to 50 minutes so could be a big change personally!!

Any park n ride options for train?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Ah, going the opposite way may not be too bad but I couldn't say for sure.

I sometimes do Drogheda to Clondalkin in the mornings by train but you have to time it properly to get the train through the Phoenix Park Tunnel, otherwise you'd need to get off at Heuston and get on a Luas towards Connolly. It would be a long trip for you, could be talking up to 3 hours door to door.

• Advertisement

I hope u mean 3 hours for return journey ! might do a test drive on the weekend to get a feel of the road but does not seem doable 3 days a week!

travel from liffey valley shopping center to Dundalk to reach by 9:00 am and return in the evening ! was hoping to start drive by 7:30 am from lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭gipi

The first train from Connolly to Dundalk is at 7.35am, getting into Dundalk at 8.30am. Dundalk station isn't very central, so factor in walk or cycle once you get there.

I think your only option is driving, to be honest.

Don't forget you'll hit 2 tolls each way (M50 and M1), which will increase your costs

Advertisement