Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legal etc practicalities of buying up North post Brexit

Options
  • 23-01-2023 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭

We're looking at houses all over the country at the moment and there have been a few interesting ones that have popped up over the border. We can work remotely (or mostly remotely) but work would be based in the south. One English citizen and one Irish. Does anyone have any advice on the practicalities? Anything I google assumes that the interest is the other way, e.g. NI resident moving or buying south of the border. We'd have a mortgage of probably 40-60% LTV and prices look better over the border for the types of thing we're looking for (older/weirder non-standard non-estate detached houses).

So far what I can look up suggests:

• ROI Banks won't mortgage over the border
    • NI Banks may do but would require a higher deposit of 30% (unlikely to be an issue) and ?undetermined? other conditions.
    • May have to pay "ground rent" on a wholly owned property but not clear how common this is, how difficult/costly it usually is to buy out, or how to find this out in advance (a job for a solicitor or surveyor?)

What I haven't got a steer on so far:

• What the property tax situation would be. Assuming any stamp duty is paid in the north and there is no liability here for the actual purchase.
    • Not clear what the income tax situation is - assume I am registered for tax in the UK but my salary continues to be paid to an existing ROI account? Do people typically have to inform their employer they're abroad? Do they move accounts?
      • Do non-domiciled timelines come into effect, e.g. I move, quit work 3 months later, there are minimal issues?
    • Given the "porosity" of the border how much effort is involved in things like getting registered on the NHS and tax?
    • The legislation seems to suggest "it's grand" on most practical matters due to the Good Friday agreement, but how true is that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

I work in Halifax/Lloyds Mortgages

5% deposit with a good credit score

BUT

applicants need to start with a UK address.

and be paid in Sterling into a UK bank account.

so we couldn't meet your requirements

try a broker in the North. they might have another lender with different criteria

you dont need to register on the NHS. show up at A&E with blood running out, they'll fix you and send you home with a tired smile.

Registering with a GP or a dentist can be tricky as some aren't taking any new folk as they're full. depend where you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

Thanks for the update, that's very useful. I think the gp situation is much the same around the country.

Advertisement