Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopped by Gardaí and rights

Options
  • 23-01-2023 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

So, lately I've becomed quite obsessed watching those Cop Audit videos on YouTube (mostly from the US and some from UK). Yeah, I need to get out more! :-)

It got me thinking of what rights we have here in Ireland when it comes to the following:

1. Can we record the Gards during face to face interactions and while they're carrying out their duties?
    2. If stopped by a gard, do we have any rights when it comes to providing basic information they request? (In the US it appears that you don't have to provide your name/ID unless you've committed or about to commit a crime).
    3. If stopped by a gard while driving for no reason, do you have to give them any information about where you're going or coming from?

All of the above don't really affect me day to day, but it's really just curiosity on what rights we have here in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

There is a section on this in the Citizens Information website.

Maybe take a look and get back for any clarification needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

So, lately I've becomed quite obsessed

enough said

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,516 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Maybe take a break from Youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Barney224

Jeepers guys, I was just being facetious! I'm not that obsessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭sugarman20

There's this absolute tulip on YouTube that goes around mainly to police stations in the UK recording police cars leaving/entering the station just to get a rise out of them. Of course he had to come over to Dublin for a special "audit". What a waste of time and resources.

• Advertisement

There’s many sections on citizens information, I don’t know why you couldn’t link to the one you’re talking about?

its an interesting question I don’t see the harm. A lot more engaging than the eejit who wants to send videos of people throwing their fag butts to the council 🙄

From what I understand anyway the garda can you ask you for details if they suspect you committed/are about to commit/have information on a crime that’s been committed.

They cannot force you to answer and cannot arrest you unless they’ve good reason to. So basically they can ask you who you are/where you’re going, but you’re within your right to tell them fcuk off. (Don’t do that it’s rude and unnecessarily hostile though). This is my understanding anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I was sort of busy at the time and hadn't time to look for it but decided to try and help out anyway.

OK are we good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,731 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There are people out there harassed their whole lives by Guards, simply because of their attitude towards Guards, as Guards are like little children in their mindset, weird, and will continue to harass a person out of spite due to that person not showing them respect.

It really is best to avoid them at all costs, and if stopped be polite. Geez if you have nothing to hide why have an attitude, why would you want a man child on your case every time they see you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement