Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stay paye or revert to contractor

• 22-01-2023 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a bit of a dilemma. Background info first, I have a limited company since 2007,no employees just myself. Last March I took a paye job and continued to operate the business on the side,albeit on a much lower level. My accountant has warned me that I am not putting enough funds into the company yet continue to pay a few bills out of it!! I feel that I have to make a decision, stay as a paye worker or revert to contracting (with the same company I am currently on paye with). Do the advantages of company outweigh paye? I am aware of what I will lose if I leave paye status (company car incl!) But a good hourly rate should compensate!! Any opinions???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25 CryptoToFollow

How can the company have costs (other than annual accounts which should be minimal) if you are not operating through it.

Why do you still have the company?

There are some benefits such as your company could make pension contributions on your behalf?

However if contracting, what happens if you get sick. Presumably you don't get paid. And I also presume that you can get maternity/paternity/parental leave as a Paye worker.

Are there any bonuses/share options available as a Paye worker?

Hopefully the above gives some ideas to think about as its not as straight forward as one option pays better than the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

Yes minimal costs,accounting fees etc. I have kept the company to keep this option of reverting to a contractor role. I know the pitfalls of going contracting but I am used to that most of my life. I suppose what I'm trying to get at here is, what other benefits can be gleamed from contracting? For example I have a daughter going to college in 2 years, I was told the company could pay her a minimum wage (office work at weekends etc) This could ease the burden of college considerably. Any thoughts?

Advertisement