Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strategy gaming laptop recommendation?

Options
  • 22-01-2023 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm looking to replace my gaming PC with a laptop. I don't really use my PC anymore because it's pretty outdated and the light from the office can go into the bedrooms, disturbing the kids

So I want something mobile I can play elsewhere

Frankly, I don't really need a high spec computer anyway, I use the playstation for FPS games and tend to use the PC for strategy games

I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations? Budget is around €1500, ideal screen size between 13 and 16 inch, wouldn't go any bigger (insert jokes here 😜) as I want something reasonably portable

I like the look of the Asus Vivobooks, or maybe the TUF series (although they don't really seem to have anything better except the GPU). Any other models people would particularly recommend?

Also, bit of a silly question but where is good to actually buy a laptop these days? Most of the shops I've been looking at don't even mention the higher spec versions of most laptops, and I don't really want to be stuck in i5/16GB RAM territory

Thanks in advance!

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

So after looking around I realised my budget was a bit low, by several hundred. I guess that's what I get for not keeping an eye on prices since around 2018 😫

Anyway, what do people think of MSI laptops? The GS66 stealth looks like a decent package

The Lenovo Legion 5 is also a bit cheaper. It certainly wins in the I/O front but looks a bit like a 1998 laptop to me. I also don't like the numpad, waste of space on a laptop IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mishal54

1. ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14
    2. MSI GE75 Raider
    3. Acer Predator Triton 500
    4. Dell G5 15
    5. Razer Blade Pro 17

Note: These laptops have good graphics, processing power, and memory suitable for running strategy games smoothly. It is advisable to check the specific requirements of the games you want to play before purchasing a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,847 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Cheers, most current gen stratagy games seem to be around the i7 + 16GB + RTX 3070 mark. The price jump to 32GB RAM is pretty significant, generally because the graphics card also goes up a notch

I'm thinking I might get an i7 + 16GB laptop with a mid level graphics card and upgrade the RAM separately, should be future proofed for a while

Advertisement