Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rear Wiper Motor Wiring Check

• 21-01-2023 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Rear motor has stopped and does not operate either by stalk nor in reverse with reverse gear selected while using front wipers.

The fuse has tested okay with continunity test.

Which of the 3 wires do I test with the multimeter?

Would one of the wires be negative or do I earth off the car body?

Basically I have a multimeter set to dc 20V.

How do I test that the power is hitting the motor to rule out the relay?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭kmb

See picture below to save opening the word document.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Run a 12v feed straight to the motor - saves messing around with a multimeter. Im almost sure that the black wire is positive on those motors.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Actually I think its this setup.

Black - This is the earth. Make sure it has a good connection to the vehicle body.

Green with Brown tracer - Park feed. This should be live with the ignition on, but dead with ignition off.

White with Green tracer - Switched feed. This should be live when you turn on the wiper and dead when you turn it off.

Is it a 500? Wires breaking where the boot lid wires go into the body is common on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Always a good bet to go for where the wires get flexed entering car body.

Hi Lads,

Thanks for the info.

It is a 2008 Bravo TJET 150 sport.

I may run the cable and see if it does anything, at least it will rule out the wiper.

I have downloaded the elearn with schematics etc but I cant understand them.

The entry into the door is a good call also.

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Bravos well know for the wires breaking going from the boot lid into the body. Theres a rubber boot that the wires travel in. Remove the boot and slide it back and you should see the wires broken. Just extend the wire slightly with some wiring of the same size and you should be sorted.

Hi Hellrazer,

Thanks for the reply.

I will take a look at it at the weekend.

The bravo up to now has been faultless. It does not burn a drop of oil and the Turbo has never given any bother compared to other brands.

My mechanic flushes the engine every service.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I wouldn't touch anything in those connecttors with an everyday multimeter, nor go experimenting connecting 12v to the motor.

That is can bus controlled so if you go fishing around the connections with a multimeter or hooking 12v to devices you risk destroying the controller card in the motor or possibly even corrupting the whole body control system.

Its quite safe to use a multimeter on any can bus system - been doing it for 20+ years and Ive never blown any type of control unit. And running a 12 volt feed to the motor wont cause any issues either - standard practice for testing to see if a motor is gone.

All you are doing is bypassing the 12v feed from the fuse box to test the motor to test for a broken wire. If you were any way worried take the motor off and use a 12v lab power supply to test it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,202 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Like everything else - as long as you know what you are doing.

Sending 12v into the wrong wire could certainly do damage.

• Advertisement

I am going to leave it to a local garage to check it, it would seem the safest way.

I am aware that things have changed from my days 30 + years ago fitting spot lamps, radios, tape decks etc and even an automatic aerial which used to go up when the radio was turned on/down when off.

Great fun that was.

I do have the full elearn Fiat Bravo downloaded with schmatics and instructions.

Thanks for all the replies and info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭TM

Deleted - ignore.

Post edited by TM on

Advertisement