Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere to get wood planed & biscuit jointed?

Options
  • 21-01-2023 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

Am planning to make a table out of reclaimed scaffold boards but dont have all the tools. Im looking to see if anyone knows a place in Dublin or surrounds where I could bring 4 x 180cm scaffold boards to get them planed flat by a machine and also biscuit jointed? I tried a couple of joinery companies but one wasnt interested and the other quoted pretty big money.

Failing that Id buy a hand planer and do it that way. Is there anywhere I could hire a biscuit jointer?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one issue that joinery places could have is that scaffold boards are likely jammed full of sand and cement which would be murder on planer blades; the cost of resharpening blades could exceed the price they could reasonably quote, possibly.

have you seen bare wood from the scaffolding planks yet? i.e. are they in good enough nick for a table top?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ok yeah I get you, I havent seen the planks yet, a mate who is a scaffolder has 4 of them for me but Ive yet to lay eyes on them. I just asked him for some dry ones that have been indoors a good while to try to avoid cupping when they are put together as a table.

I think in that case the best thing to do is buy a hand planer and do it that way. When I do need it biscuit jointed though is that something a joiner would do or would I be better off just hiring one for the job?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where in dublin are you? i know a lad who might do it for a small fee.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

The only thing scaffold planks are fit for is,....scaffold planks.

Might be wise for you to re consider the material to use.

they're fine for raised beds too, to be fair!

• Advertisement

That would be great MB, I can transport them to anywhere in Dublin

I should point out I was referring to the biscuit jointing. No point trying to arrange anything till you see some of the wood, planed, to see what condition it's in. Might be worth going over the wood with a hand plane first; they can be resharpened a lot easier than machine planer blades.

Thanks MB, will get back to you after Ive seen the boards and know if Im going to go ahead and hand plane them myself first. If they are covered in cement its a non goer but will see what the scaffolder throws up

can I ask why youd not recommend using them? What I want to make is a rustic table that has chunky wood which is why reclaimed scaffold boards seem to fit the bill as they can be 63mm thickness.

Any pointers on a better matieral that is easily sourced would be appreciated, aside from the DIY places that sell pine and the like Im not sure where I would be able to source chunky boards with a bit of grain and character in them to make a table. I know some architectural salvage yards sell old oak beams but they are too chunky and I dont have the tools to cut them in half lengthways. Also I believe they can have nails buried in them so a sawmill wouldnt do it for me either in case it damaged their blades.

I suppose the reason Id picked scaffolding is I would only need 4 boards to make a 90cm wide table and examples I see on Youtube come up pretty well. If I can hand plane them myself and then get them biscuit jointed then I can handle the glue and clamping stage myself and then go to work on sanding and staining them. Im far from an expert woodworker and have limited tools so Im trying to keep things simple for my first big project

Advertisement